Order Meeting

Cygnus screams in frustration, dropping her head to the table with a solid thud, some of the order members wince.

"That sounded like it hurt, cub." Sirius says lowly.

Cygnus turns her head and glares at him from under the curtain of her dark hair, which he returns with a goofy grin.

"If you would not behave like a child, miss Black, perhaps Lord Voldemort would trust you." The Headmaster says, and both Snape and the girl turn sharply to him.

A warning look from Remus makes her take a deep breath before responding.

"In case you haven't noticed, Professor, I am only a child." She sees Sirius smirk at the level of lethal sarcasm dripping off of her words.

The Headmaster's reply is cut off as the door opens and the order members who left to retrieve Harry file in.

Cygnus stands and immediately walks over to Alastor Moody, who gives her a once over before turning and glaring at the procession.

She hears the voice of Mrs Weasely from the corridor, and she presses her palm against the Aurors chest, casting a meaningful glance towards the door, before he pats her on the back, releasing her from the meeting.

"No, Harry, the meeting's only for members of the Order. Ron and Hermione are upstairs, you can wait with them until the meeting's over and then we'll have dinner. And keep your voice down in the hall," Mrs Weasely says in an urgent whisper.

"Why?" Cygnus sighs in relief at the sound of Harry's voice.

"I don't want to wake anything up."

"What d'you — ?"

"I'll explain later, I've got to hurry, I'm supposed to be at the meeting —"

"I'll do it Molly, you go." Mrs Weasely jumps, but nods and pinches Cygnus' cheek. "Oh Cygnus dear, thank you so much, now I really must get going, please keep your voice down Harry." She adds, scurrying back through the door.

"Cygnus!" Harry laughs, embracing her.

"Come on." She whispers, smiling as she leads him up the stairs, past a pair of long, moth-eaten curtains, and skirting a large umbrella stand that appeared to have been made from a severed troll's leg. They start on another flight of stairs, this time passing a row of shrunken heads mounted on plaques on the wall. A closer look would show that the heads belonged to house-elves.

"There" She tells him, pointing to his door  "you're the door on the right. I'll collect you when it's over." And as he opens the door and She watches long enough to catch a glimpse of Hermione as she practically tackles him before making her way back to the meeting, full of resentment.

She approaches the door, freezing as her name comes up in the conversation, which has begun to become furious in her absence.

"I do not think the girl is trustworthy." Says a voice that can only belong to Kingsley Shacklebolt.

"I think I have to agree with Mr Shacklebolt, Miss Black is too spirited, she won't listen to her orders."

"Not when they're a suicide mission." Barks Alastor.

Cygnus smiles, leaning closer against the door. Of course Alastor would fight for her, the man was practically her father.

"I need to know that she will do everything she is told, no questions asked." Comes Dumbledore's voice. "Severus?"

"Hm?" The swallow man hums disinterestedly, and she can just picture him arching an eyebrow. Perhaps they had hated each other, but through time and necessity had grown used to the need to have each other's backs.

"Severus, the girl worries me." The Headmaster confides.

"If you knew the girl very much at all, headmaster..." The potions professor drawls, "you wouldn't be worried-"

"So you think-" Shacklebolt again.

"I wasn't finished... you wouldn't be worried, you'd be terrified." And with that line Cygnus scrambles away from the door, moments later Snape barrels through it, screeching to a sudden halt once he is out of sight of the door.

"It would bear them well to remember who they are dealing with, Black." He says lowly, turning his head slightly to meet her gaze.

Cygnus nods, but her professor frowns when he catches sight of her hands.

In two strides he is by her side. "Give them hell, make him mad." And with a very uncharacteristic wink, he goes off down the corridor in a flurry of billowing black robes.

She re approaches the door, where she stops listening long enough to draw a breath before practically kicking open the door, causing everyone to freeze and stare, open mouthed, at her.

"Shut your mouthes, you'll catch flies." She remarks smartly as she makes her way to the foot of the table.

When she gets there she slams her hands on the antique wood and stares down the Headmaster.

He stares right back at her, unblinking.

"People are going to die." He says, and it is Molly Weasely who gives him an aghast look, the others stay staring.

"Not if I can help it." She practically growls.

"You won't be able to. You have already failed if that is your goal." He says, still calm as a clam, his gaze never leaving hers.

"The goal, Dumbledore, is to kill Voldemort. I thought that was always the plan." She counters.

"There are steps that must be taken—"

"This isn't a chess game." Cygnus clarifies angrily.

"My dear, but it is." Dumbledore says, smiling now.

"And what am I? Am I one of your pawns?" She laughs.

"The very idea!" He curses, shaking his head. "No, you are far too valuable for that. You're a rook."