Chapter 2: Threatened to Break.

I glimpse over at Ethan who was by the cash register. He was currently cashing in someone's order.

"Miss, coffee please," someone hollered a few seats away from me. I turned to them with a small smile. "Coming right up," I stated as I grabbed the coffee mug. I made my way over to the guy and poured him some coffee. He thanked me before I walked off.

I looked around the restaurant to see it was a slow day. Not much people was here. I looked at the clock on the wall to see it was almost 9 o'clock which is when our shift ends. I walked over to Ethan who was passing the woman back her change. She thanked him before walking off.

"Our shift is over in 3 minutes. You ready?" I asked as I ruffled his hair. He swatted my hand as usual and I chuckled at how adorable he was. He nodded his head and for the next three minutes, we just served or cashed anyone we had to. Soon time finally came and the other servers walked in taking on their new shift.

Ethan and I walked out the restaurant and headed to the car. I unlocked the door and Ethan hopped in before buckling up. I walked over to the driver's seat and got in. Starting the engine, I buckled up and pulled out the parking lot before heading home which was a 20 minute drive.

We silently drove down the highway and I couldn't help but feel worried for Ethan. I don't like him working this late or at all. What 12 year old should spend their childhood working?! I tried to convince him not to but there's no telling this kid no. We finally reached home and I looked over to Ethan to see he was half asleep.

"Ethan," I spoke in a soft tone. He let out a tired groan. I got out the car and walked over to his side. I unbuckled him and gently pulled him out from the car. Half asleep, he managed to stand on his two feet. I closed the door and held his hand. "We'll go through the backyard," I whispered not wanting to put up with our drunken parents.

I guided Ethan to the side of the house and we walked around the corner to the back. I stopped by the tree that was near my window and let out a soft sigh. I raised my hand towards the tree and used my power to lower the strong branch to the ground. As it lowered, I placed Ethan on top it and the vines wrapped around his foot securing him. I stood on the branch and it gently lifted us up to the window.

Leaning over, I unlocked the window and the branch slowly merged into the room. The vines became lose and Ethan tiredly stumbled off. I held his hand and led him to his room and into the bathroom.

"Strip and shower. I'll help you change into your clothes," I spoke in a soft tone.

He hummed in response and started to take off his shirt. I walked into his room and got out his PJ'S and set them on the bed. I sat by his desk and waited for him to finish shower. Eight minutes passed by and he came out the bathroom wrapped up in a towel. I walked over and grabbed his hair towel before drying his hair. I then helped him into his PJ'S and got him settled in bed.

"Thank you," he muffled out and his head sunk in the pillow. "Any time. Good night," I softly spoke as I kissed his forehead. I walked towards his door and took of his light before closing the door.

I let out a tired yawn and walked into my room. I showered myself in hot water and got dressed in warm clothes. Walking over to my desk, I opened my bag and started to do my homework. Math to be exact which I found was pretty easy. It took me about 20 minutes to finish and I started on my Chemistry homework which was about some compound. Honestly, I just Googled all the answered. My brain was just too tired to think.

A loud boom came from outside causing me to jump in my seat. I looked to the window to see it was starting to rain heavy and lightning and thunder was rolling. I let out a sigh and looked at the time to see it was now 1 in the morning. I still wasn't even have way done with my homework.