Chapter 5: Defenseless.

The car ride to work was filled with a lot of tension. I didn't bother talking to Kai or even saying sorry. After giving it some long and hard thinking, I knew I really had nothing to apologize for. I was just doing what I thought was right. He could have been harmful or something towards Ethan and I...Yes I realize how stupid it sounds but that's my logic so shut up.

I looked out the window and saw we were getting closer to the restaurant. I glimpsed in the mirror to see Ethan was also looking out the window. A few minutes passed by and the car then came to a stop. Ethan literally ran out the car and into the restaurant.

I turned to Kai to see him looking stare ahead him still tensed and angry. I let out a sigh and opened the door. "Thank you," I mumbled before stepping out.

"You know something," his voice came out deeper than I've ever heard which caused chills to run down my spine. I turned on my heels and looked at him to see he was still looking stare ahead. "What?" I asked in a soft voice.

"They were right. You are a freak," his voice came out venomous as he looked at me when he said his last word. I stared at him a bit shocked and hurt but he only stared back in anger through his shades. Not bothering to say anything, I slammed the door shut and turned on my heel ran to the restaurant.

Walking in, I made my way to the back of the kitchen and saw Ethan was checking in. He seem to have noticed I was approaching because he pulled out my check-in card and passed it to me without a glimpse or a word. I checked myself in and we headed to our side of the restaurant.

I looked around to see about 5 or 6 people in here. Today was going to be a slow day considering how heavy it was raining outside. I sat behind the counter and gazed around to see some people were on there phone or sipping on there drink and eating something.

My mind couldn't help but replay what Kai had told me. Whenever someone called my brother or I a freak, I would just be angry about it. But when Kai said it, it was different. I felt like a piece of me actually broke off. I guess it's because I thought Ethan and I had someone who was actually different for once but he's like the rest of them. This was maybe the bad vibe Ethan was getting.

Half of me believes the worst is over but the other half believe it's yet to come. Paranoid much? I would say no. Being in this town for over 6 years has taught me one thing. No one is your friend. Over the years, I've gotten to secretly know people. When I say secretly I mean I know who they are and what they do even if the person never talked to me.

For example, Greg is the guy who asked for coffee yesterday and he's here today. He's in his late 30's and comes here every single day. He has a farm which is an hour away. His day job is just getting his cows to produce milk. He has 4 kids and a wife name Janet. Janet is a hoe. Straight to it, she a hoe. She comes in here with him only on Thursday's. The rest of the time, she's screwing some guy for money. You thought those cows producing milk kept them going? No, no. You got it all wrong.

Then there's Sarah who sits in the corner of the restaurant every time the weather is bad outside. When she's not in here, she's out there somewhere downtown condemning everyone to hell if they don't repent. I would ship her to Salem but my money is worth much more. The woman is in her late 40's and single has they come. She does have a cat though. I'm surprise it didn't commit suicide yet. Yes, she's that bad. I think you get the idea now.

The main question I've been asking myself for years is 'Why does everyone hate us?'. You see, after years and years of my brother and I being harassed in every which way, we have somewhat discovered the answer. We are just simply....drum roll...the outcast. I kid you not. You ever went into a town or different part of the world and everyone looks at you a type of way and you know for sure, they are prejudice? Well that's this town but their prejudice level is sky high. Like I'm pretty sure this town could win an Oscars for being the most prejudice.