Chapter 23

You know that feeling you get when you've had an amazing night, and fallen asleep, and just don't want to get up because it would ruin the mood? That's exactly how I felt when George decided to shake me awake rudely, to the blinding sun. At first I thought he was a bee, so I started swatting him.

"OI! I'M NOT A BEE! I'M YOUR BLOODY FIANCÉ!" he yelled at me.

This got me awake. That statement was so funny to me, I wasn't sure why. I was doubled up laughing at this, while George sat there blankly, wondering why I was laughing.

"What's so funny?" he asked.

"You!" I replied between gasps of air. Before I knew it, George had caught me by the waist and was holding me, awaiting the end of my laughter. His face was adorable: he was confused but grinning at the same time. It took me a while, but eventually I'd stopped laughing, my face felt hot and my hair was messy.

"So now will you tell me why you were laughing so hard?" George asked me.

"I'm not entirely sure," I answered, stretching and yawning, "It's morning, I was shaken awake, and I guess my reactions are just a bit bigger than usual."

"Well..." George said, "good morning."

"Good morning, Georgie," I grin, and peck him on the cheek. "What say you we pack up and get ready? It's" -she checked her watch- "already eight in the morning! We need to be at work by nine!"

"It's only eight," George said simply, "AND we're magic... We'll make it on time, don't worry."

"GEORGE!" I yelled, "Do you realise how popular your store is? How many customers line up at the front doors in the morning so that they can get in as soon as possible? We ought to get there early!"

George rolled his eyes, and began folding the blanket while I collected some of the dishes that had been spread around us. It didn't take us long, but we were that close to being late for work. George apparated to the house in order to drop off all the supplies, then came back for me. We apparated together to the shop, where thousands of people were surrounding the area. I ended up stepping on an old witch's foot, and apoligised guiltily.

"What's going on here?!" George yelled, but no one answered him. They were all too busy talking amongst themselves. George and I pushed ourselves through, until we reached the front of the shop, where an odour befowled the air. 

"EURGH! What is that?" I asked, plugging my noise.

"I'm not su-"

"George?" 

George just stared ahead.

"George?" I repeated.

Still no answer. I followed his gaze to the front, where the most unbelievable, most horrific thing had been drawn onto the store's doors and windows.