Chapter 1

"Michael? John?"

Wendy sleepily lifted her head to the nursery window that was now wide open, blowing in cold air.

John and Michael were staring out the window as a shadowy figure starting circling around them.

Wendy quickly tried to jump out of bed, but her legs wouldn't budge. She tried to scream out to her brothers, but she couldn't make a sound.

The shadow lifted them up off the ground as John and Michael shot their sister a look.

"Why won't you help us, Wendy?" Her brothers simultaneously said to her.

"Why won't you get up and help us?"

She tried to scream and jump out of her bed, but she was numb.

The shadow then slowly took them out the window into the cold, London air.

Wendy felt a tear stream down her cheek.

Wendy woke up suddenly in a cold sweat. It took her a minute to remember where she was.

"Just another nightmare," she told herself as she tried to calm down.

Wendy had the same reoccurring nightmare ever since she moved in with the Becketts. After that night.

That absolutely awful, life ruining night.

"WENDY!!!" Wendy sighed as she heard Mrs. Beckett call for her downstairs.

She pulled the pillow over her head and buried herself into the covers, hoping she would disappear.

"WENDY!!!"

Wendy groaned and threw the pillow to the other side of the bed. She glanced around her room at the mess of clothes lying on the floor and her mud-stained boots drying on the windowsill from the rain the other day. She stood up and pulled on her usual, dirty white t-shirt and overalls. She hated how stereotypical she dressed since she did live on a farm.

She rushed down the stairs and was greeted with the sound of Mrs. Beckett's opera music playing on her record player.

"Well, it's about time your lazy arse got out of bed! I hope you do realize you aren't a guest in my house!"

Mrs. Amelia Beckett was probably one of the funniest looking people Wendy had met in her life. She would dress in huge, colorful ballroom dresses every day and never left the house without a full face of makeup. She would always wear the same red lipstick that would always appear on her teeth when she smiled a full grin.

Today, Wendy noticed that Mrs. Beckett was wearing her bright purple dress with a blue cap on her head. Wendy knew all too well that this meant Mrs. Beckett had an audition today.

Mrs. Beckett aspired to be an opera singer. She would go to auditions at least five times a month and would always wear the same outfit. However, she never got a call back for any of her auditions. Not surprisingly since, according to Wendy, she sounded like a dog getting run over repeatedly by a car. Wendy would never dare tell that to her face though and she tried to be as supportive as possible.