Chapter 15

Wendy exited her new tent and saw all the boys in a circle, laughing and throwing some of their dinner at one another. As she walked towards them, she noticed Peter sitting on a log at a distance, eating by himself. He made eye contact with her and she gave him another one of her fake smiles. He rolled his eyes and continued to focus on the dinner on his lap. 

"Wendy!" Alfie screamed over the boys shouting and laughing with one another, "Come sit next to me!"

Wendy smiled and made her way over to the rowdy group of boys and took a seat. She looked in the middle of the group and noticed that most of the food was gone. As much as she would like to convince herself she wasn't hungry, her grumbling stomach was evidence enough that she would be lying. 

She felt a small nudge on her arm and turned to the smiling boy who held a plate of food in front of her.

"I made sure nothing touched each other. See?"

Wendy laughed, "Thank you very much, Alfie."

"You're welcome, Mother."

Wendy still was not used to that being her new title.

"Don't think I'll be calling you mother." George stared daggers in Wendy's direction.

Wendy smiled, "You can call me anything you want to, George."

"How about crazy fur ball?"

Some of the boys roared with laughter. Wendy blushed as she realized her hair was a huge frizzy fur ball. As she felt anger creeping up on her, she replied, "Alright, only if I get to call you dirty rubbish."

Every single one of the boys rolled around with laughter. Wendy even thought she saw Peter smirk a little. George, however, was not happy with Wendy's response.

"Why don't you go back where you came from? Oh wait, that's right. You're not wanted there."

Wendy's smile quickly started to fade.

"George, why don't you stop-" Timothy tried to intervene, but George interrupted him.

"But, here you are. Still in Neverland with no place to go because you're not wanted. Well guess what?"

"George-" Timothy protested

"Shut up Timothy!" George shouted. He walked over to Wendy and kicked her plate out of her hand. She gasped as the tin plate flew to the group along with all the food on it. "No one wants you in Neverland either."

"Hey!" Alfie started to stand up but George pushed him down.

"How does it feel, Wendy? To be so unwanted everywhere you go? I bet you feel so worthl-"

Suddenly, George was thrown back and hit a tree behind him. Wendy gasped as all the boys kept their heads down. In an instant, Peter was standing in front of George and picked him up by his shirt collar.

"You are not going to speak to her that way," Pan said in a menacing voice, "Do you understand?"

George nodded as he was so terrified he couldn't form any words to respond. Peter let him fall to the ground as George ran into the forest terrified. Peter turned and made eye contact with Wendy, who was in shock. Why would Peter do that for her? Wendy got up and ran through the woods. She felt tears forming in her eyes as she ran. George was right. She was unwanted everywhere she went. Her parents gave her away. She was forced to leave the farm. And now here, no one wanted her. The only reason she was staying was because Pan was convinced that she had magic, which was the only reason the fairies wanted her, and they made her leave too. Where did she belong? If not here and not back in England, then where? She collapsed to the ground by a small lagoon and sobbed. Everything that had happened since she arrived just hit her all at once. She felt hopeless and alone. This must have been how my brothers felt, she thought to herself, sitting here on this island alone and afraid and just hoping their sister would come and help them...and I never did. She continued to sob, feeling sorry for her brothers and thinking of how awful of a sister she was, until she heard a voice.