Chapter 17

Wendy gasped as her eyes shot wide open. She immediately sat up as she tried to calm her racing heart beat and slow her breathing.

"You're safe, Wendy. You're fine. You're in your tent." She mentally told herself.

She looked to her left and saw a sleeping Peter Pan beside her bed. 

Why was he here? 

What happened?

She observed the sound asleep boy as he quietly inhaled and exhaled, watching his stomach rise and fall as he peacefully slept. Wendy's mind was racing as she tried to remember what had last happened when she was awake. The only word racing through her mind was pirates.

Pirates had invaded the island.

"Peter," she half whispered as she nudged his shoulder. He didn't budge. Wendy smiled softly at how tranquil and undisturbed he looked. She was still confused as to why he was here though. She vaguely remembered pirates coming up from the ocean and fighting with the Lost Boys. She remembered Alfie and her climbing up a tree to observe the fight from below. And then, she was looking down at Timothy fighting that huge, awful pirate. Was he dead?

Not wanting to wake Pan, she quietly rushed out of her bed and ran out of her tent. The sun was just rising as she went towards the boys' tents, needing to know if Timothy was still alive. As she reached his tent, she prayed she would find him sleeping peacefully like Peter and not healing from wounds she could not prevent from happening. She pulled back the curtain of the tent to find no one there but an empty, unmade bed. 

Wendy's heart started racing.

"Think, Wendy." she told herself, "Why don't you remember anything after yelling at that pirate to leave Timothy alone?"

She decided to go to the beach as she ran through the trees toward the crystal blue waters. As her feet touched the sand, her eyes began to scan every inch of her surroundings. She saw a boy by the lagoon and a wave of relief hit her. She smiled as she ran towards the boy. As she got closer, she realized it was not Timothy but Ryan, one of the smaller Lost Boys. He was gathering water into a large bucket, probably so the boys had something to drink for the morning. As she approached him, she greeted him immediately.

Ryan looked up at her, and immediately gasped and fell backwards and inched away from her. The bucket he had fell into the lagoon, but his gaze was too fixed on Wendy as he started breathing heavily. Wendy laughed as she reached over into the lagoon and grabbed the bucket.

"I'm sorry, Ryan. I didn't mean to startle you." She held out the bucket for him to grab, but he didn't budge. He seemed to be...afraid of her. Wendy looked at him confused as she moved closer to him. He screamed as he inched farther away from her, terrified. 

"Ryan, what is wrong with you? Did something happen?"

"Please don't hurt me!" He yelled as he shielded his eyes, scared Wendy would harm him. But why would he think that?

Worried, Wendy slowly kneeled down to be at his level as she held her hands up, showing she would not hurt him, "Ryan, why would you think I would hurt you?"

"Because you killed a man!"

Wendy became even more confused. Killed a man? Wendy didn't have the capability to kill anyone. What was Ryan talking about?

"Ryan, I never-"

"Please don't use your magic on me! Please! I'll be good! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" He yelled as he started choking up due to terror. Wendy looked to him with sadness in her eyes.