Chapter 9

Wendy didn't know how long she was locked up in that cage. It seemed like weeks had gone by and she felt like her mouth might dry up completely if she didn't have any water soon. She had thought about ways over and over to escape but knew she couldn't prove to Pan that she had these great powers. She didn't understand why he thought she had magic. Wendy had never even believed magic truly existed till she arrived at Neverland. When she first saw the shadow and saw Pan use his powers on the other boys, she was sure she was dreaming. She could not believe that a place like this existed. It seemed like a place that would be in one of her old storybooks. She regretted ever letting the shadow bring her here. Why would he bring her to a place to where she was even more of a prisoner than when she lived with the Becketts? He had to know something, but how could she get in contact with him?

"Wendy!"

Wendy looked down to the ground to see who yelled her name, annoyed to find the voice belonged to Pan. He had come every day, asking if she was ready to show her powers to him.

"For the last time, I told you I don't have any powers." Wendy weakly spoke.

"Suit yourself. You know I'm a very patient person, Wendy."

Wendy ignored him and tried to focus as she continued to think of an escape plan. She assumed he left when she didn't hear another snarky word come from below her. 

How could an evil boy run an island with such beauty?

Pan was the most cruel person Wendy had ever laid eyes on. In a way, she was happy she was locked away in her cage because she didn't have to see him around the island. He struck fear in her, but was not afraid to stick up to him when she knew he was wrong. She knew he was capable of anything, but she just didn't care. She saw that her life was over. There was no way she could convince Pan she had powers, and, since he thought she was lying, she knew he had the power to kill her. So, Wendy had accepted her fate. She knew there was nothing else she could do, and that nothing could save her now. She pulled her legs to her chest and rested her head on her knees. As tears began forming in her eyes, she thought of her brothers. How they would play together in their nursery and play pirates with wire hangers. Wendy smiled as she shut her eyes and imagined she was still in London, laying in her bed with her brothers in the beds next to her, quietly snoring.

"Excuse me, Miss?"

Wendy eyes shot open as he raised her head. Her eyes met a small glowing ball of green light that was floating outside her cage. She rubbed her eyes and blinked a couple times, questioning if she was hallucinating from the lack of food in her stomach or if it was a dream.

"Miss?" the ball of light asked again.

"Hello?" Wendy hesitantly responded.

"Who locked you up here?" The sweet voice asked.

"It was Pan." Wendy responded with disgust.

The ball of light didn't respond as it continued floating by her.

"What is your name, Miss?"

"My name is Wendy." She responded. "Please help me escape him."

"Oh, Wendy! We've been waiting for you!"

"I'm sorry? What do you mean?"

"No time to explain now." The light said as Wendy's cage door suddenly opened, "Hurry, Wendy. I'll take you somewhere you will be safe."

"What are you?" Wendy asked.

"It's hard to explain right now. Just come with me! Hurry!"

"What's your name?"