Chapter 2

Wendy had been kneading the dough for Mrs. Beckett's pie for longer than a half hour.

The shadow.

She knew it all too well from her dreams. What was it doing here? Why was it following her?

Her hands slapped down on the kitchen counter.

"Focus, Wendy." she told herself, "Maybe it was just a shadow of something. It couldn't have been the shadow from your dreams. Yes, it had to be a shadow of something else. A shadow of....oh, who am I kidding?"

She groaned as she let her head hit the counter. 

She decided to finished the pie dough and grabbed the fruits from the refrigerator. She decided on apple pie, since the apples were especially ripe this season. She covered the pie with pieces of dough and tried to rest her mind about the shadow that she couldn't decide if she did or did not see. As she placed the pie in the oven to bake, she sat down on the couch in the living room and put her face in her hands. 

"Stop thinking about it. It had to be your imagination. It had to be. It's just a nightmare. It's just a nightmare."

As much as she wanted to tell herself it was a nightmare, she knew it was a memory. Wendy knew what she saw. She had seen that evil being countless times in her dreams. She could not deny the dark being that flew underneath her, trying to get her attention. Well, the shadow must certainly had it. Wendy could not stop thinking about where it was going, what it's next evil plan was. She contemplating on going into the winds to find it and demand it take her to where her brothers are.

Then, she remembered.

Grayson.

Her best and only friend in town.

"Maybe he saw what I saw. Maybe he's noticed something strange. I have to find him."

She checked the pie in the oven and saw it was a golden brown. Taking a towel from the sink, Wendy grabbed the pie from the hot oven and left it out to cool with one of Mrs. Beckett's fancy dinner plates and a fork beside it. 

Wendy ran from the house into the woods. The sun was very close to setting, so she knew she had to find Grayson as fast as she could. She ran down the path she had memorized since she was a little girl and shouted for Grayson.

"Grayson! Grayson, please tell me you're here."

Suddenly, she spotted a boy by the river's edge and she sighed with relief. She ran towards him and hugged him from behind.

"Woah!" he exclaimed laughing, "Well, well, Miss Wendy. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Grayson was an extremely handsome boy who was so tall he had to look down at Wendy in order to talk to her. He had shaggy brown hair and the bluest eyes Wendy had ever seen. He was always outside, trying to keep himself busy by finding things to build and do. Wendy knew if you ever needed something done, fixed, or made, Grayson was the one to do it. He was wearing jeans and a flannel shirt that was rolled up at the sleeves as he wiped the sweat off his forehead and laid down his axe from cutting down trees.

Wendy smiled at him, "I need to ask you a question."

Grayson rolled his eyes, "For the five hundredth time, Wendy, I swear I am not a lumberjack. I just enjoy being a man and doing manly things."

Wendy laughed which made Grayson chuckle, but Wendy's humor quickly faded to seriousness.

"This is a serious question, Grayson. I need to know if you saw anything flying by you today? Or maybe even under you?"