Chapter 3

When Grayson left her in the woods in a state of confusion, Wendy was so surprised by his behavior. Grayson never acted that way. Ever. He was always so kind to her, and now she didn't know if she would ever be able to speak to him again.

That is, if he ever wanted to speak to her again.

What did she do wrong? What did he mean when he said he was in danger? It just doesn't make sense. Wendy knew that the Becketts' house was the safest place around, because no one ever visited them. They were never any strangers around either, not even to ask for directions.

It just didn't make sense.

As Wendy was walking up to the Becketts' home, she didn't hear Mrs. Beckett's record player.

"That's strange," Wendy thought to herself, "Maybe she actually did well in her audition!"

However, when Wendy walked inside the house, she found a sleeping Mrs. Beckett on the couch and a tin by her side where an apple pie used to be.

Wendy smiled to herself, assuring that Grayson was wrong. How could she be in danger? Mrs. Beckett was asleep so there was no worrying about her singing to distress her. Mr. Beckett hardly ever spoke to her except to wish her good morning and tell her what had to be done around the farm.

But still, Wendy felt off. She knew something was around, lurking about the house, but she chose to ignore it.

She yawned as she made her way upstairs to the bathroom. She brushed her hair out as she started a bath. She stared into the mirror at her reflection and sighed.

Wendy had always wished she were pretty. She had a freckly face and brown curls that would puff out when she combed her hair. She remembered her mother would always say "You are perfectly plain, Wendy, but in the most beautiful way."

She never really understood what that meant, but she did agree that she was plain. She didn't have any features that stood out from other girls she'd see in Mrs. Beckett's magazines, and Mrs. Beckett found them all stunning.

Wendy remembered her old dresses that she would wear back in London. She remembered how pretty they made her feel and how her mother would let her borrow some of her jewelry to match with the outfit. Wendy smiled at the memory. Of course, when Wendy was sent to the Becketts, she had to give them everything. Mrs Beckett sold most of her clothes to help pay for auditions. However, the only thing Wendy was allowed to keep was her locket with a picture of her two brothers, John and Michael.

John and Michael.

Wendy sighed as she grasped the locket in her hand. "I will find you, brothers. I promise I will."

She unclasped the locket and let it rest on the sink. Wendy sunk into the tub and let the warm water relax her tense muscles. She smiled and let her eyes rest for a bit.

She thought of the baths her parents would make for her, with the lilac soap and all the bubbles and how-

"Stop it, Wendy." She told herself as she sat up, "They don't want you anymore they...they're better off without you."

Wendy remembered the day when her parents decided she should be sent away since her brothers were missing. She remembered the day like it just happened.

"Wendy, you will soon understand why we're sending you away." Mrs. Darling said with tears in her eyes. "It's not that we don't love you, my dear, it's just that...we-"

"You were never ours, Wendy." Mr. Darling chirped in, "John and Michael were ours, but you...you were never ours."

Wendy never fully understood what those words meant.

"You were never ours, Wendy."

Wendy shook the thought from her head. "It's only a memory now. London is a memory now"

She got out of the tub and dried herself off. She tied her hair back as she slipped into her cotton pajama shorts and a tank top. As she was leaving the bathroom, she heard Mr. and Mrs. Beckett talking downstairs.

"But, Amelia I don't understand why you feel this way now. I thought you two really got along."

"Got along?" Mrs. Beckett laughed, "I despise that child. She never does anything right. She's more of a bother than a help! I want her gone!"

Gone?! Wendy slid down the wall by the stairs.

"Now, Amelia...I don't think-"

"What, Rupert? You don't want me to be happy? You want me to suffer on this farm even more than I am? She is not the kind of person I want as help. She is an ugly, pestering little witch!"

Wendy was so surprised. Where was this coming from? Why did Mrs. Beckett want to get rid of her? Of course, her and Mrs. Beckett never got along but was that any reason to kick her out? Especially when she had no where else to go?

"Amelia, she's a great help to me and-"

"Rupert...you don't want my happiness? You don't want me to be happy?"

"Of course I do, my dearest. I just don't think-"

"She needs to be gone, Rupert! Now!"

There was a pause. This was the first time Mr. Beckett took Wendy's side in an argument and Wendy loved him for it.

"Well...she did just recently turn 18."

"Exactly! There's my smart, handsome man!"

Wendy couldn't bare to listen anymore and ran to her room. She shut the door and slid down it as she started to cry. She couldn't believe this. It was true, no one wanted her. She didn't understand. She had always been kind and never did anything to harm the Becketts in any way.

"Why?" She sobbed to herself, "Why must you have taken my brothers? Why did you make my parents give me up so easily? My life was perfect and now as soon as I'm getting used to living here, the Becketts don't even want me. No one wants me."

She sobbed into her lap and tried to compose herself, but the tears wouldn't stop.

"Wendy..."

Her head shot up. The voice. That same voice she heard earlier today. Was it the shadow?

"Hello?"

"Wendy..."

Wendy took in a deep breath. She had to face the shadow. She needed to know what it wanted.

"Hello..." she shyly said as she stood up and wiped her eyes.

"Do you believe, Wendy?"

Wendy was confused, "What do you mean?" She continued to look around the dark room, trying to see where the voice was coming from.

"You need to tell me if you believe."

Wendy hesitated. She didn't understand what she was dealing with, but she knew she had to be brave. For John and Michael.

"Yes..." Wendy said, "I believe..."

Suddenly, the room started rattling as books fell from the shelves in her room and her bed started shaking.

"What are you doing?" Wendy gasped as she tried to keep her balance.

The rattling stopped and her bedroom window swung open. Wendy could see the moonlight shining in as the cold air swept through the room. Wendy suddenly saw a mist of blackness enter through the window. Wendy held her breath, terrified of the thing entering her room. The mist swirled on the walls and suddenly made itself into a shape.

A form, rather. A form of...a boy?

"Who are you?" Wendy asked, trying to get her voice to stop shaking.

The whispery voice answered her, "I am Pan's shadow."