Chapter 19

Wendy fell to the ground for what felt like the thousandth time.

"C'mon, lets try again." Pan said as his hand glowed green from the orb about to form.

Wendy nodded, as she slowly got back to her feet. She was surprised when Pan offered to help her get a better control of her powers. She figured it would be a good way to learn when and how to use them in certain situations. Also, she wanted to learn how to handle this new part of her life, since everything she once thought was true about herself was not. Her and Pan had been training for weeks and nothing happened. It reminded her of all the training she did with Terrance in the fairy world, it always went nowhere. It seemed like she could only use them when she truly believed her life was in danger. In the beginning, she was convinced that Peter would seriously throw one of his green orbs at her, so she was able to shield herself from them, but as time went on, she became more convinced that Pan would never actually hurt her, so nothing happened. 

Wendy was panting as she faced Pan again, getting herself ready for another failed attempt at using her magic.

"Are you ready?" Pan asked. 

Wendy nodded.

"Convince yourself that you are actually in danger." Pan said, "Remember, you're in control, Wendy."

Wendy nodded again.

"You're in control, Wendy. You are in control"

Wendy took a deep breath as Peter threw another orb towards her. She extended her arms and focused on the green ball of light flying towards her. Trying to focus as hard as she could, nothing happened. The orb hit her once again and her body collided with the cold ground.

"Let's take a break for today." Peter said as held out a hand for Wendy.

"It's hopeless." Wendy said as she tried to stop her frustrated tears from spilling from her eyes. "I thought maybe if I got control of this magic, it would..."

Peter took a seat next to Wendy. "It would what?" 

"Nothing." Wendy sighed as she turned her head away from him, nervous he would see her crying.

"Wendy, you could tell me."

Wendy slowly turned towards him and met his eyes. Ever since Peter had released Wendy from the cage, he had been so much nicer to her. They were actually getting along and Wendy was definitely suspicious. Peter surely wanted her for something, and Wendy was certain that something was her magic. However, another part of her felt that he wanted to genuinely help her. She wanted to trust him, but she was still hesitant. But, looking into his eyes now, she was ready to tell him anything he wanted to know.

"It's just...I thought if maybe these powers would work again, it would bring me closer to who I actually am and who..."

"Who your actual parents are?" Peter finished her thought.

Wendy sighed, "Yes."

They sat in silence for a while. 

"It must be strange," Peter finally spoke, "To think that the life you lived for as long as you can remember wasn't where you were meant to be."

"It is." Wendy chuckled, "I came here looking for my brothers and ended up finding out more about myself. Well, my true self."

"You do realize that John and Michael aren't you real brothers though?"

Wendy deeply inhaled, "I was hoping that part would still be true."

"They are Darlings. They don't have magic like you do."