Chapter Seventy Seven: Trust

It's a beautiful night,
We're looking for something dumb to do.
Hey baby,
I think I wanna marry you.

Bruno Mars – Marry You

The chapel was a small, sacred place that was both beauteous and spiritual. John could feel the pulse of humanity trembling through the planet as he stood at the simple alter in a black fitted suit, his hands clasped in front of him. The champagne rose attached to his lapel matched the crisp shirt he wore underneath the jacket, his top two buttons were undone adding a slightly more casual appearance to style. His dark hair was neater than usual, he had artfully tousled it this morning instead of leaving it in it's usual wayward state.

"Last time I did this on Earth I was still drunk from the night before." John muttered to Ronon who was standing beside him in similar attire.

The taller man was standing with his spine straight and his large hands were tucked behind his back. The baby blue shirt contrasted with the simple red rose attached to his own lapel. There wasn't anyone in the world or rather in the galaxy he would have preferred to be his best man much to Rodney McKays highly vocal disbelief. Ronon had fought for him and with him. The other man had protected and taken care of his wife in her time of need and John knew that Ronon would do it again without the slightest hesitation. This marriage was a contract that would bind all of them for life.

Their friends from Atlantis had arrived in New York the night before from Colorado. Elizabeth had allowed them leave Atlantis to attend the wedding on the grounds that they were to return first thing tomorrow morning. Already Rodney had been complaining about their lack of relief time upon Earth, Carson had patted his friend on the back good-naturedly while Teyla had simply rose her eyes to the heavens as if praying for patience.

John couldn't have imaged what it must have been like for the group being cooped up on a plane with McKay. He was surprised they'd all made it off in one piece considering the expression of thunder on Ronon's features when John had picked them up from the airport.

His father was sitting behind John with his brother Dave, the older man had managed to conjure his brother from the depths of the corporate world and summon him to this chapel. To John's surprise Dave had greeted him with a handshake and a smile that showed genuine mirth at the situation. They hadn't spoke face to face in four years, more due to John's inability to return his brother's messages. His old man had already been introducing himself to Michael and Jules, thanking them for helping to put this shindig together.

Within moments they were all chatting like they'd known each other for years and laughing raucously as they swapped stories about the bride and groom much to John's chagrin. His father had even made friends with Jules's children, taking the time to crouch down in front of them and introduce himself before peppering them with questions about their favourite toys. Seeing his father like this reminded John of his childhood and once again he saw the man that had once been his true hero.

"You nervous?" Ronon asked clearing his throat as he cast a glance at his friend.

John tilted his head from side to side as he judged his own answer. There was a mild anxiety lingering in the restless pit of his stomach. He was unnerved a little, frightened that Cass would change her mind after everything that had happened. Being on Earth made things different, it was an easier life and what if she had decided this wasn't what she wanted?

"A little." John admitted reluctantly.

"Huh." Ronon responded gruffly. "I thought you never got nervous."

"This marriage is a big deal to me." John said rolling his shoulders. "I wouldn't blame her if she didn't show up."

"But you don't believe that." Ronon stated bluntly.