Chapter 10 - Get A Room

***Harry's POV

"Oh, this is absolutely adorable. How about this?" Bea asks me for what feels like the thousandth time as she holds up a pink and white flower dress this time. "Is it worthy enough for our fashionista daughter?"

"It looks awfully short," I say with concern, eyeballing the material to gauge it for Ferris' height. "Isn't that a miniskirt?"

"What? No way," Bea looks at it again and puts it back on the rack with a frustrated sigh. "Maybe you're right. She is tall for her age, thanks to the Styles genes."

"Yeah, I think she might even surpass you in a few years."

"Stop it," Bea playfully warns with a wagging of her finger and I smirk.

How do you like being teased about our girls growing up, Love?

"Alright, I'll stop. How about jewelry then? Can't go wrong with jewelry," I suggest and Bea widens her eyes in excitement. "I'll take that as a yes."

We walk over to the crowded section and I immediately spot the perfect thing. I take it off the hook and as I inspect the earring and necklace set, I can imagine my daughter's happy reaction.

It's perfect.

"Look at this, Love. What do you think?"

"Yeah, she definitely will because they're for pierced ears," she points out and I turn the package over. "Unless you've changed your mind-"

"No, I haven't," I cut her off, earning a giggle, but I fail to see the humor. "You know our rule, Beatrice."

"Yes, I know and you know how badly she wants pierced ears. She's been talking about it ever since her seventh birthday."

"Ferris can get her ears pierced when she turns thirteen; that's what we agreed on, after you worked me down from eighteen," I explain as kindly as possible, putting the item back on the hook and my wife dramatically sighs. "You never know, Bea, first it's pierced ears, then it'll be a-a-a belly button ring that she'll want to show off by wearing a miniskirt a-and a half-shirt or whatever you call those things and then," I pause for dramatic effect, "and then the boys will come a-knocking."

I exhale a nervous breath, anticipating a round of applause for my Oscar-worthy performance and she starts giggling.

"Wait, come a-knocking?" she asks in a mocking tone that I don't appreciate. "Babe, we have a few years before she starts dating. She's only eight."

"Yeah, but it feels like yesterday that she was born," I mumble, suddenly feeling the need to hug my girls. Bea places her hand on my arm, making me flinch and I look away so she doesn't see the damn tear that has betrayed me. I nonchalantly brush my cheek with my sleeve and clear my throat, noticing something on the next jewelry case. "What about that?"

"About what?" she asks and I point to the item. "Oh, that locket is perfect. She loves hearts and it's silver. Good job, Babe," she praises me and I smile proudly. "I think we have a winner."

"Great, so we have the wine glasses for your parents and mine, the magnet set for Gem and John, the dolly for Janelle and this necklace for Ferris. Everyone's covered."

"Thank God, now let's pay for it and go eat. I'm starving."

***

"Would I be a terrible person if I said I liked the pizza back at home better?" Bea quietly asks, partially covering her mouth with a napkin as if she's afraid of someone overhearing.

"No, Baby, you're not a terrible person," I chuckle, reaching for my glass of wine. "I thought it was the best pizza I've ever eaten, but that's just my opinion."