Chapter 40 - Once Upon A Time

***Bea's POV

A bright flash followed by a loud clap of thunder startles me out of my sleep and I open my eyes to the dark room. My mind isn't awake enough, but the undeniable smell and constant beeping of the machines let me know I'm still in the hospital and it's then I realize Harry isn't holding my hand anymore.

And I start to panic.

"Harr-" I choke on my own spit, squinting in pain because my mouth is so dry. With every ounce of strength I have in my weak body, I call out again. "Harry?"

"Yeah, I'm here, Bea, I'm here," his voice is sleep-rasped and deeper than usual, yet it's so comforting.

"Thank God," I sigh in relief.

"Are you in pain? Should I call the nurse?" he worriedly asks, turning the light above my bed on the softest level and I shake my head in answer. "Then what's the matter, Baby?"

"I thought you left," I squeak out and point to the cup of ice chips on the table.

"Oh Love, you know I wouldn't leave you like this," he says, reaching into the cup and he carefully feeds me an ice chip. "I'm spending the night here with you until we leave on Sunday, remember?"

Keeping my bleary eyes on his, I nod and he hikes up his gray sweatpants before sitting down in the chair next to my bed. He scratches his chest through his plain black t-shirt and a puff of air rumbles against the chair, making us both smile.

"S'rry, Love," he sheepishly says while fanning the stinky air away. "Did the storm wake you?"

"Yeah, and I need more ice now now now."

"Hmm, at least we know where Janelle gets her impatience from," he smirks, feeding me another ice chip and I make a face at him. A flash of lightening brightens up the room and a loud clap of thunder makes us both flinch. "Bloody hell, I must've been out cold cos I didn't even realize it was raining. You know me, I can sleep through just about anything."

"Yeah, even your loud snores," I tease.

"Was I snoring?"

"No, I just meant in general," I explain and he nods with a smile, running his hand through his messy curls.

"Well, it must be past midnight now. Let's get some sleep."

"N-no, don't go, please."

"Bea, for the millionth time, I'm not leaving you. I'm just going back to the recliner."

"Lay down with me, please, I can't sleep without you," I explain and he huffs out a breath.

"But there's hardly any room and even if there was, I wouldn't want to accidentally bump you in my sleep. You're fragile right now."

"Ugh, then scoot the damn recliner over here so I can hold your hand," I order and the look on his face makes me feel bad. "I'm sorry, I just-"

"No, you don't have to apologize, Baby," he coos, cupping my cheek with his warm hand and I lean into his comforting touch. "How about I tell you a bedtime story, y'know, like I do for our girls when they can't sleep, yeah?"

With a fond smile, I nod in answer and he reaches up to turn out the light. After tucking me in, he dramatically clears his throat and places his hand in mine.

"Once upon a time, in a faraway land, there lived a beautiful young maiden named Beatrice who caught the attention of a strapping young lad, whose name was Harry."

"Mm, I like this story already," I smirk and he wiggles his eyebrows.

"They attended the same high school, but socialized in different groups, until one day, they were paired as partners for one of their class finals," he pauses with a confused look on his face. "Do you remember which class it was, Love?"