Chapter 29 - Bear Hug

***Ferris' POV

"C'mon, Love, we need to hurry," Dad quietly says while unbuckling Janelle from her car seat. "Auntie Gemmy's waiting for us."

Keeping my heavy sigh to myself so I don't get in trouble, I unbuckle my booster seat and hop down. I don't feel like talking to him because I'm still mad that he had a girlfriend before Mom and I don't really know why, except that I thought they were always together.

Poor Mom. I bet the girl wasn't as pretty as her, though.

"C'mon, Love," Dad says, holding out his hand for mine, but I don't want to hold his hand. "Are you gonna walk with Mummy then?"

"Yeah."

"Alright," he sighs and I can tell his feelings are hurt. As he carefully picks up Janelle from her car seat, he looks over at Mom in the front seat. "Aren't you coming, Love?"

"I will, but go ahead and take Janelle inside, please. We'll be right behind you."

Dad nods, giving me a sad smile and he presses the button to close the sliding door. The cold air rushes inside, making me shiver and I sit down on the edge of the seat because I don't know what else to do.

"Why aren't we going inside Auntie Gemmy's house?"

"We will, but do you want to tell me what's wrong first?" she asks and I shrug a shoulder, trying to play it cool. "I know something's bugging you."

What? How does she know? I thought I was playing it cool.

"Is it because Dad had a girlfriend before me?"

"Well, I don't wanna say cos I don't want you to feel sad again."

"I appreciate that, sweet girl, but I won't feel sad, I promise, and have I ever broken a promise?" she asks and I shake my head. "That's right. Now believe it or not, but your dad actually told me about his girlfriend before we started dating in high school and get this...I was okay with it because it was way before me."

"Oh, okay. I guess that makes sense. I just thought you guys were always together and would be together forever, like a fairytale, y'know?"

Mom nods with a smile, but I can tell it's not a real one because the corners of her eyes don't have those wrinkles. Well, there are some wrinkles, but it's not because she's smiling.

I knew I shouldn't have told her. I feel so bad now.

"Ugh, these darn allergies," she giggles, taking a tissue out of her purse and she blows her nose in a way that makes me laugh. "Okay, let's go inside now. Do you have the diaper bag?" she asks and I hold it up to show her. "Alright, let's hurry cos it's cold."

"Yeah, I'm freezing!"

As soon as we get out of the van, Mom takes my hand and we jog up to the house. Her giggles make me smile and I'm glad that she's feeling better now.

It's because you helped her. Good job, Ferris.

We're out of breath once we reach the front door and Mom knocks in a funny way that makes me laugh. I hear footsteps from inside the house getting closer and the door opens.

"There they are," Auntie Gemmy smiles and I rush into her open arms. "Oh, it's so good to see you, Ferris. It's been a while, hasn't it?"

"Mhm," I hum, leaning back so I can look at her and she gasps. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing, love, you're just so beautiful," she cups my cheeks and kisses my forehead.

"Is cousin Phillip here?" I excitedly ask and Mom nudges my arm, earning my attention.