Chapter 44 - Pay It Forward

***Harry's POV

With tears stinging my eyes and blurring my vision, I walk down the hallway to the waiting room.

It's empty except for an older bloke, who looks to be in his late sixties, sitting against the wall across the way. He's sipping on his coffee while reading a small book and I choose a seat that's a respectable distance away from him.

Closing my eyes, I rest my elbow on the armrest and hold my head up with my hand. I exhale a heavy breath, feeling a tear roll down my cheek and I hastily wipe it away almost in irritation.

Be kind to her, my arse. I'm nice and she yells at me? Sure, that seems fair. And she can forget about me getting her a present.

"Who are you waiting for?" the bloke asks in a thick Southern accent and I sit up straight in the chair, clearing my throat for the unwanted conversation.

"My wife."

"Me, too," he replies. "I reckon you can have the television remote if you want. I ain't watching it."

"Thanks, but I'm good," I smile cordially and take out my phone from my pocket, hoping he'll catch the hint.

"I'm Michael, by the way," he says and I exhale a breath while putting away my phone.

So much for my subtle hint.

"I'm Harry. Nice to meet you."

"Likewise," he says, closing the worn, leather-bound book on his lap and he rakes his hand through what's left of his silver-coloured hair. "What's your wife here for, if you don't mind my asking."

Of course I bloody mind.

"Don't mind at all, uhm, she was diagnosed with Stage Three Ovarian Cancer. Her oncologist suggested a hysterectomy and chemo."

"Oh my, I'm sorry to hear that. How old is she? I only ask cos you look like a youngin yourself to be going through such a traumatic experience."

"We'll be thirty-two this year. Listen, do you mind if we don't talk? I'm just, I'd like some peace and quiet."

He smiles, nodding his head and I'm curious as to why he found what I said funny. Instead of opening that can of worms, I choose to ignore his borderline smugness and I take out my phone once again.

"Peace," he says, ironically disturbing the silence and I keep my eyes on my phone. "When my Ruthie had her first surgery for her colon cancer, I was a nervous wreck."

"Yeah, it can be scary," I offer, still keeping my eyes glued to my phone and randomly tapping my thumb on the screen.

Little does he know that I haven't even unlocked it.

"I mean to tell you, son," he continues, "I was resentful that she was even diagnosed with cancer in the first place. It was right around the time of our anniversary," he says and I find the similarities between his wife and Bea and I uncanny. "Well, needless to say it made the event that much more special. Anywho, back to my point-"

"You mean you actually have a point?" I scoff, flicking my eyes to his and his expression makes me realize that I was wrong. "M'sorry, mate, I'm just, I'm so angry at my wife right now and I know that sounds terrible, but I am and I feel bad that I'm angry because she's gone through so much and I just-"

My sobs finish what I can't put into words and I let my head fall into my hands. All the emotions I've kept bottled up are now pouring out of me in the form of salty tears and although it's embarrassing that it's happening in front of a complete stranger, I'm relieved.