Chapter 30 - Daydreaming

A/N: We're at the halfway point of this book now, which means the Way Out series will be coming to an end.

I want to cry.

Speaking of crying...get your tissues.

Also, if the opening scene sounds familiar, it's because it was Bea's POV in the Bonus Chapter of TEWO/Prologue of TOWO. I just switched it up a bit.
Enjoy!

***Harry's POV

"Where are you taking me and more importantly, why are we the only ones here?"

Bea's nervous giggles make me smile and I choose to keep her in suspense by not answering. I hope she can't feel how shaky my hand is through our mittens as I guide her through the deserted carnival and the reason why I'm nervous is nestled in a small satin box in my coat pocket.

It took me just over a year to save up for the ring and even longer to work up the nerve to ask Bea's father for his blessing, but it was worth it.

I still think he wants me dead. Well, not as much now because the possibility of grandchildren is in the near future for him. Maybe that's why he didn't kill me.

"The carnival's closed for the Winter season, so I don't understand why we're here," Bea worriedly says. "You better not get me in trouble, Harry."

"I won't, Love," I assure her with a wink and she smiles softly at me.

As we continue through the empty area, the colorful lights from the Ferris Wheel capture my attention and I start looking for my Uni mate, Tom, who has agreed to meet me here.

Having him open the carnival just for us was worth every bit of that fifty dollars. Now that was money well spent, Harold.

"Why is the Ferris Wheel the only ride that's working?" Bea asks and I look at her with a smirk.

"That's a very good question, Miss Sorentino, let's go find out!"

I take off running, pulling my screeching girlfriend behind me and I finally see Tom by the gate. As we get closer, I slow our pace down to a walk and I have to catch my breath. That little burst of energy made my heart race and it's already beating fast because I'm nervous in the first place.

I feel Bea's hand on my arm through the thick sleeve of my coat, so I know she's worried about me. I give her a reassuring smile, patting her hand to let her know I'm okay and she smiles softly.

"Harry, over here, man!" Tom calls out, earning my attention and we walk over to the front of the gate. "I was beginning to think you weren't gonna come."

"Of course not, traffic was just a pain in the arse," I look at Bea and clear my throat. "I mean bum," I smile nervously and she giggles, rolling her eyes into a smile. "Bea, this is Tom, my best mate and lab partner at Uni. Tom, this is my wonderful girlfriend, Beatrice."

After they exchange pleasantries, complete with Tom making comments on how he can't believe I could have such a beautiful girlfriend, he helps us into the bucket and secures the latch.

"Good luck, H," he smirks. "I'll be rooting for you."

I roll my eyes at his crude hand gesture, hoping that Bea didn't see and thankfully he walks over to the operator's station. Clearing my throat, I sit back in the seat and remind myself to keep calm.

"What was that about?" Bea asks, nestling into my side and I wrap my arm around her.

"N-nothing," I quickly reply. "He's not well."