Chapter 17 - Ear Buds

***Harry's POV

"The guest bed is made, complete with the decorative pillows and the last of the laundry is in the dryer."

"Mum, you didn't have to do all that," I chuckle, shaking my head in awe. "Bea and I would've gotten to it eventually."

While Ferris, Robin and I have been drawing in the living room, my mum has selflessly cleaned the kitchen, done the laundry and dusted and vacuumed the whole downstairs.

"I know I didn't have to; I wanted to," she smirks, taking a seat next to Robin on the couch, "and last I checked, I was the mum and could do as I pleased."

"You'd better just nod and smile, son," Robin chuckles, earning a playful tap on his knee.

"Are you saying that I'm high-maintenance, Mr. Twist?"

"Of course not, Mrs. Twist," he kisses the back of her hand, earning a smile from her and I find myself smiling as well.

It's been six years since Robin walked into our lives and I honestly couldn't be more grateful. He's a genuinely nice bloke who has proven himself worthy of my mum and he treats her the way she deserves to be treated; like a queen.

He still better not hurt her or else I'll-

"Dad, look at this!" Ferris excitedly says, bringing me out of my thoughts. "I drew the shadowy parts in Bella's fur around her nose. See?"

"Yeah, I see. Good job, Love," I praise her and she smiles proudly. "Y'know, shadowing is a difficult technique to master and you did an amazing job."

"Thanks," she hops up from the rug where we are both sitting at the coffee table and she fixes her hair. "I'm gonna put this on my dresser next to my other really good drawings."

"Why don't you show Gramma and Grandpa first?"

"Oh yeah, duh," she giggles and proudly holds it up. "Do you like it, Gramma?"

"It's beautiful, dear. Looks exactly like Bella."

"I know right?" she says and I clear my throat to get her attention. "I mean thank you. And what do you think, Grandpa?"

"You did a fantastic job, buddy."

"Thank you. Okay, I'm gonna put it up in my room now," she runs out of the living room and we all three laugh quietly.

"She really is a lovely girl, Harry. She's so respectful at eight years old. That speaks volumes of how you and Bea raised her."

"Thank you, Robin," I humbly accept his compliment and begin picking up the drawing pencils.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course, Mum."

"Is Bea alright?" she asks and I freeze, fitting my eyes to hers. "I'm only asking because I noticed a few things at breakfast."

"She's fine, Mum," I smile to convince her and myself and a loud scream from upstairs captures our attention. "What the hell?"

I quickly get up from the floor and rush upstairs, listening to Ferris' terrified screams the whole twelve steps. My heart pounds in my chest as I hurry down the hallway and I turn towards her bedroom.

"What happened?" I ask out of breath and the pitiful sight of my daughters sitting in the midst of what appears to be a toy's stuffing strewn across the floor makes me sigh deeply.

Because I recognize it.

Dolly.

"She, she, she killed Dolly!" Ferris stutters through broken sobs as she begins picking up the white clumps around her. "Why'd you do it, Janelle?"