Chapter 52 - Surprise Party

***Harry's POV

"Careful now, Love, take your time," I encourage while helping her out of the van. Once her feet are on the driveway pavement, she sighs in relief and loosens her grip on my hands. "See? I knew you could do it."

"Thanks, but that was the easy part," she exhales a heavy breath. "I'm dreading those porch steps."

"I'll help you. No need to worry. In fact, I'll come back for our luggage so all my focus will be on you."

"Aw, you're very sweet," she coos and tilts her head up with a smile.

I think my wife wants a kiss. Please your wife, Harold. Don't mind if I do.

Lifting my hands to cup her cheeks, I step closer and lean down until our lips touch. I inhale deeply at the feel of her soft lips on mine and smile at the tiny moan against my lips, gently caressing her cheeks with my thumbs.

"Mm!" she hums quickly and pulls away. "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"I thought I heard Janelle crying," she furrows her eyebrows, glancing over at the house.

"That's impossible, Love. You know the girls are with your parents, and since their car isn't here, that means she actually listened and respected your request of not coming by until tomorrow."

"Yeah, but I could've sworn-"

"Let's just get you inside and settled so I can make us some lunch. How does noodle soup sound?"

"Bland," she pouts and I can't hold back my smile.

"We can take a nap after we eat," I wiggle my eyebrows and she grins. "I knew that would get you. Okay, c'mon, let's tackle those porch steps. By the time we get in the house, it'll be dinner time."

"Hey," she whines with a giggle. "Don't make fun of me. I just had surgery four days ago."

"And just how long are you going to milk this?" I tease, earning a weak swat to my arm and I take her hand in mine. "You can milk it for however long you want to, Love," I kiss her fingers, earning a sweet smile. "Hey I've got a brill idea."

"Okay, that was random," she giggles. "What is it?"

"Let's go around to the backyard. There aren't any steps back there to the patio door."

"You're a genius, Harry."

"I know."

"And you're so humble, too," she rolls her eyes into a smile and we start walking up the driveway.

It's a slow pace and I'm starting to wonder if we actually won't make it in before it gets dark. Her painful groans and tight grip on my hand erase the smirk on my face and I encourage her with kind words.

We stop at the patio door and I unlock the deadbolt, smiling down at my wife.

"Welcome home, L-, wait, I think I hear Janelle crying, too."

"So I wasn't losing my mind. I'm worried now. Hurry up. Let's go inside."

I take the keys out of the lock and open the door.

And the kitchen light turns on.

Oh no.

"Surprise!"

I step inside and help Bea while our family happily pops out of their hiding spots and I feel her grip tighten around my arm.

"Did you do this?" she whispers and I shake my head.