Chapter 23 - For Better Or Worse

***Harry's POV

We've been home for about five hours and it still hasn't sunk in that Bea has cancer. It feels like I'm living in a nightmare that I can't wake up from, no matter how hard I try.

It was around two in the morning when we finally came home from the emergency clinic and thankfully April and the girls were asleep, so Bea and I went straight to bed.

After crying ourselves into exhaustion, we finally fell asleep in each other's arms, but it wasn't a restful sleep for me. As I held my beautiful sleeping wife in my arms, all I could think about was getting her well again, so that's what I've been working on for the past two hours.

The early morning sunlight peering through the patio door creates a glare on my laptop and I rub my tired eyes. Since everyone else is still asleep, it has allowed me to concentrate in peace, with the exception of Bella's request to be let outside to do her business.

Exhaling a heavy breath, I reach for my third cuppa of the morning and take a sip. Since I'm running on about two hours of sleep, I'm hoping the caffeine will help me get through the day because I still have so much to research.

So far, I've learned that there are different stages of cervical cancer and the survival rates are based on those stages and I just want to scream.

Why? Why did this have to happen to us? We're too young to go through this. We're supposed to be together forever.

"It's not fucking fair," I seethe through gritted teeth and bury my face in my hands.

"M'sorry, am I interrupting?" a groggy voice startles me and I quickly wipe away my tears.

"No no, April, you're not. Good morning," I say with a cordial smile, nonchalantly closing my laptop for privacy. "How was last night? Did the girls give you any trouble?"

"No, of course not, well, Janelle woke up twice, but I changed her diaper and rocked her back to sleep," she smiles, crossing her arms over her purple bathrobe and her smile fades. "So, what happened at the ER? Is everything okay with Bea?"

Shit. What do I say? Think, Harry.

"Well, the doctor thought it would be best if we get a second opinion, and since it was so late, or rather early in the morning when we got home, Bea and I didn't discuss it, so-"

"It's okay, Harry, I understand," she interrupts me with a sympathetic smile. "Just let me know what I can do to help."

"Thank you, April. You're such a wonderful friend, I wouldn't know what we'd do without you," I truthfully admit and she blushes, waving off the compliment. "So, uhm, help yourself to some breakfast. I'm not sure what all we have, but-" I'm interrupted by the sound of Janelle's cries coming through the baby monitor that I realize April is holding and we smile at each other. "I'll check on her."

"I can, if that will help," April offers.

"Yeah, it would, actually," I nod, covering an unexpected yawn. "I should check on Bea anyway."

"Alright, so I'll bring the girls downstairs and get breakfast started for them," she says and I thank her before she walks out of the kitchen.

I stand up from the table, tightening the belt on my bathrobe and I grab the empty mug to put in the sink.

As I make my way upstairs, Janelle's cries become louder and I smile sadly, placing my hand over my aching Dadda heart.

The hallway is quiet once I reach my bedroom door and I exhale in relief, knowing that my baby girl is okay. I open the door slowly just in case Bea's still asleep and I step inside, quietly shutting the door behind me.