8. A Taste of Freedom

A/n: Sang and the others will be speaking in the Taren language.  Sang's grammar will reflect her progress learning.

"You have made remarkable progress on language, Sang, but you tend to miss some of the vowel sounds.  You've been saying Flips....which is fine, as you are learning,..really my name has an [Taren equivalent for short i sound] after the first consonant," my doctor explains during our session. 

I think for a moment and then realize that in English his name would look more like Phillips.  Taren is still so hard.  It sounds sort of like the structure of Japanese that I was starting to study at my high school back on Earth, but with maybe a French or Italian accent.  If course the alphabet reminds me of an Arabic twist on the Korean letters I used writing my journal...I am not sure really.  Being immersed in the language with the Interface aiding in meaning has helped me to understand fairly well.  Speaking is a far different matter.   I feel so frustrated trying to express myself with halting phrases and  dramatic gestures.   Sa Lents and Ista Fli... I mean, Ista Phillips, have both reassured me that it is normal and will come in time.

"I be soon ready to Sa Lents home?" I ask...ugh...that sounded horrible.

"Yes, you are almost ready to go with Sa Lents.  I hear his younger daughter is very eager to meet you," Ista Phillips replies. "In fact, you are officially cleared medically as soon as we are done here today.  You just need to complete one more training module... "  

He drifted off for a moment seeming to stare at the space just above my right ear.  This has been one of the stranger things to experience while interacting with the Tarens.  The Interface has given him some sort of instant message and Tarens are so used to these constant interruptions that it is expected and integrated into social niceties.  It is not considered rude, and is actually quite common place, to switch to a virtual discussion, or even a conference call by bringing in other users to the channel.  I asked about hackers and privacy during a session with Sa Lents.  He explained Tare's very strict laws and the very intimidating legal monitoring system.  Basically, Tare has almost no crime.  Everything and everyone can be tracked through the Interface since no one, and I do mean no one, lives off the grid. Babies are given a limited Interface that monitors vitals immediately after birth.  Even minor offenses can get a person strapped with third level monitoring for life.  This sentence means that monthly  a virtual sweep will be made in an offender's accounts, transactions, locations...pretty much anything that might be interesting to a parole officer back on Earth and more. I asked Ista Phillips if I was on monitoring.  As a stray I am on second level monitoring.  Ugh, let's just say I really hope no one is actually watching or listening to footage of me pooping.  I have been super careful to not look in the mirror naked since they told me that my visual and auditory input was being recorded and randomly reviewed. 

"Ah, well looks like that module was completed this morning.  Very good, Sang.  I just sent Sa Lents an alert.  He will be here shortly to escort you," Ista Phillips says to me aloud as a copy of the text sent to Sa Lents pops up in my upper right field of vision.

"Ista Phillips, I still second level monitoring?"

"Yes, for at least one year.  You will then be on third level for two years and eventually only necessary medical alerts afterwards, like all Tarens.  Just be patient." 

I nod my understanding.  This isn't that bad actually since a Taren year is only about four months Earth time.  While he performs a few checks with various medical gadgets, I realize that on my 16th birthday, I will be 48 in Taren years.  I giggle at the thought.

"I have a cure for that, you know," a new voice comes from the doorway behind me.  I turn, startled, and meet with laughing,  green eyes.  I redden.  What does he mean 'a cure'?

"Ah, I was wondering when my protege would stop by for a visit.  Sang, you've met Ista Green, a member of the Setari squad that found you on Muina," Ista Phillips said. Ista Green winked and gave a finger wave. "But it looks like the reunion will be short," adds Ista Phillips.  "Sa Lents had arrived."
My sponsor came in and I felt a terrible pang of disappointment.  I shyly thanked Ista Green as I passed him on my way out of the room.

"Please, call me Sean, and it was my pleasure to find such an unexpected treasure on that mission." His smile is infectious.  I return the smile and his widens as the door slides shut between us.

*********
The trip to Sa Lents home takes about two hours, even in the fast Taren transports.  Most of Tare is covered in oceans.  The Tarens live on the islands, but nothing like Hawaii.  Taren weather is vicious, the storms forcing people to live indoors mostly.  The buildings are like monstrous-sized versions of the buildings at Camp Sang in Muina.  All white blocks stacked atop each other with almost no windows.  Hiking in the woods used to be one of my only escapes back home. I miss the sunshine and fresh air.

Sa Lents' wife, Erica, greets me warmly, and I try not to cringe when his daughter, Jessica, immediately wraps me in a hug.   She is 41 in Taren years and apparently speaking while sending the Taren versions of emojis is how teenagers communicate here.  I am overwhelmed by the flood of bouncing images that come across the Interface as she speaks.  After dinner, I discreetly mention this to Sa Lents and he walks me through how to block that feature.  I sign in relief when I return to the bedroom she and I will share to an emoji-free conversation.  Well, really it is more like a monologue, since I am glad to let her prattle on, reserving my stilted language skills for only when necessary.

Jessica eventually goes silent and I lay awake wondering at this new world.