48. Accomplice

The Wellness Center was now on my list of favorite places in KOTIS.  Victor had Janet schedule me an appointment every other kaone.  I had been anxious about seeing Fancy after my breakdown at the testing session, but fortunately she said nothing more about it after initially asking how I was feeling.  And then I spent a few kasse being pampered like the princess Victor nicknamed me.

Feeling much better, I thanked Janet and her staff, then gave Victor a hug for somehow knowing this was exactly what I needed.  Victor and Gabriel received messages from Kota calling them to other duties and it was left to Luke to escort me back.

We were meandering down the hallway, when Luke suddenly pulled me to the side, ducking into a darkened alcove. He placed his fingers over my lips and sent an Interface message: listen.

Footsteps soon approached with a light echo.  We went unnoticed as Isten Hendricks passed with another man who wore the Taren version of men's formal clothing.  Luke's eyes narrowed.

L: That's Crowley, Lehanti of Konna.

S: Bad that him with Hendricks?

L: No, but odd that he would be inside KOTIS.

S: Lehanti of only city, not whole island?

L: yeah, KOTIS operates independently...stay here

Luke teleported to directly behind the pair as they turned out of sight down the hall.  A den later he was back, eyes twinkling with mischief.

"We've still got some time before Tsee Blackbourne and Ista Green expect you.  Help me with something?" he asked. I nodded, curious.  Luke led me on a circuitous route to an area I had not been to.  A green sign indicated that this was the Science Division.

We neared an observation window that revealed a large lab with green-suits working on different things.  A line of doors to offices ran along the back. Luke stopped to ask, "Remember when you showed me that Earth writing of yours?  The secret one?"

I nodded, remembering the occasion.  I had explained that while my journal was written with letters of another language, the words were my English.  Luke had been impressed, but I thought only Nathan had taken time to really look at it.  Luke had clearly taken more interest than I thought because he used his breath to fog the window and the wrote instructions.  I was extra impressed since this was the first time I had seen a Taren do any actual writing.  It was a brilliant way to get around my monitoring status.  Anyone who viewed this later would have no reference to translate what was said.  I blushed at the last bit of his plan, but was excited to act my part.

We entered the lab and action....

"Kota told me he left it in here," Luke said, beginning our rouse.  He shuffled around some items on a table and peered into drawers.  I followed suit. The green-suits paid us little heed, focused on their tasks.

"You sure not in other lab?" I asked.

Luke paused pretending to think.  "Well, you stay here and keep looking.  I'll go check," he said then teleported out, but only to the other lab to drop off some device that would ping his location and temporarily fool the Interface tracking.  I was definitely curious why he would have something like that anyway.

I fumbled around a bit looking here and there then swung my arm just a little too wide. Crash!  Beakers and glass tubes and miscellaneous shattered on the floor.

"Oh no, I so sorry!" I mock cried.  A surge of green-suits rushed over.  I wrung my hands and feigned upset while the green-suits cleaned up around me and checked for injury.  I kept turned away from the offices, not wanting to give away Luke and his part in this charade.

The mess was almost cleared and I was being strongly advised to stay out of the lab in the nicest manner an annoyed green-suit could manage. Luke came back in and acted the role of concerned, doting boyfriend.  I even produced a few damsel in distress tears and he pulled me to the side a ways.  Then allowing just enough time for me to place my fingers across my lips, he swooped in giving me a stage kiss.  My heart pounded, his lips were so close, moving against my hand.  His sweet, vanilla scent surrounding me.

We stayed like that long enough to hear someone say the Taren equivalent of "get a room", then broke away and left. We kept up the act of Luke comforting the distraught Stray until we were out of sight of the lab, then started towards the residential wing.

I was giddy and nervous hoping I had done well enough to pull this off.  Luke had told me in the instructions before that he would plant some nanocyte cameras and microphones in Hendricks office.  I would have to find out later if it worked since we couldn't risk talking about it aloud or even over an Interface message. However, I was fairly confident of our success by the dreamy quality of Luke's glances towards me.  When we reached Tsee Blackbourne and Ista Green's door, Luke picked me up by the hips and swung me in a circle that caused both of us to laugh gleefully. 

He released me, causing my body to slide down against his. Our giggles subsided and we just stayed embraced. His bright eyes darkened to a simmer and wide smile gentled as we stood pressed together.  He pressed a kiss to the tip of my nose. His arms loosed and his hands slid down my back, thumbs grazing my sides to rest at my hips. He tilted his head, gaze drifting briefly to my lips.

His brown eyes again piercing mine he said, "You were great.  I just wanted..."

"What?" I whispered, voice barely more than a breath.

"I wanted to forget that silly fake kiss," he said.

"Oh." I tried to draw back, feeling deflated.

He tightened his grip. "No, I mean I wanted to really kiss you."

"Oh!" My heart soared again.  "I think...maybe..."

"There you are," Sean exclaimed cheerfully, popping his head out the now open doorway.  "Come in. The meal is almost ready."

Luke side-stepped away, both of us sighing a deep breath.  My insides were still a riot as we entered their apartment.