66. Try, Try Again

"It's time to stop," Sean declared firmly.  "She has tried this for over a kasse with no results but her own exhaustion."

I wilted into the nearby seat.  He was right. I was exhausted.  KOTIS wanted to see if I could replicate what I had done with Fancy in the Pillar Space.  A mixed panel of purple, green and grey-suit delegates watched as I held Fancy's hand and thought very hard about lifting the heavy white blocks in the testing room. It hadn't worked. I tried over and over again, even with other Setari. Nothing.

"Well, she must be failing on purpose," accused the green-suit with Isten Hendricks.  I had been nervous since their arrival.  I really did not like the way that green-suit looked at me. It reminded me too much of Rocky's leers.  Sean, the only Fourth Squad member available this shift, had stayed close.

"Tsa McCoy, you only need look at the girl to see that isn't true," said the purple-suit. "I do wonder, though...You reported that you were able to tap into Tsen Taylor's pyrokinesis, and the Pillar Rescue was highly emotional.  Is there some connection?  Were you also under high emotional stress using Tsen Taylor's talent?"

I glanced over at Sean, but turned back to the panel.  I shrugged and said, "I was upset earlier that kai, but not afraid when I went to see him in the tanz hangar."

The grey-suit, a woman I did not recognize, spoke up.  "Perhaps it is not the emotion of stress that allowed Tsen Sorenson to tap into the other Setaris' talents."

The group turned their attention to her. She looked middle-aged with greying streaks in her tight hair bun, reminding me of a strict librarian from elementary school. She smoothed the front of her tunic and noted, "You have formed a connection with the members of Fourth Squad. We have not tested this skill today with any of those Setari. If you will try just once more.  Ista Green, you have some telekinesis talent, correct?"

Sean blinked and replied, "It is weak, but yes."

"Then, Tsen Sorenson, please take Ista Green's hand and try just once more," she instructed smoothly.

"Are you up to this?" Sean asked as he offered his hand. 

I really wanted to say 'no', but gave him a tired smile and nodded.  He gave me a look like he didn't believe me, then squeezed my hand and helped me to stand.  I closed my eyes and concentrated on the warmth of his palm against mine.  I recalled the feel of his lips on mine earlier when he snuck a kiss in the hallway.  I reached out for the connection, the growing bond I felt between us. Then I focused on the memory of what I felt in the Pillar Space and 'lift'.

Excited whispers from the others sent my eye lids fluttering up.  All the white blocks in the room hovered about a meter above the floor.  That was far more than Sean ever could have done on his own. He turned to me with a wide smile but sweat beading on his brow.  He was feeling the strain of using that much energy, so I released his hand.  The blocks dropped with a resounding thud, and so did Sean.  I cried out and only partially caught him as he slumped over.  The attending purple-suit rushed over.  A wave of dizziness swept over me and I retreated to my seat. 

We were both whisked back to Med Bay for rest and observation. Turns out Ista Green is the worst patient ever.  He kept insisting he was fine and trying to do everything himself.  Finally, Ista Phillips came and threatened once again to take his stripes away if he didn't settle down.  Sean pouted but behaved after that. 

When the medics had finished their tasked and left us alone, Sean shot me grin and said, "Well, Pookie, at least I convinced them to room us together."

I shook my head and replied, "I think they knew it was the only way they would get that IV in you."

He looked down at his arm and fingered the tubing.  "I could have at least done this myself," he said.  He looked back up at me and added, "It's one of the things we train all soldiers to do, both Setari and the blue-suit peacekeepers."