69. T-minus 10, 9, 8....

"Do you want something to help you sleep?" Sean asked as I sat on the bed of one of the pods that we would rest in during the trip through deep-space to Muina. 

Three rows of the pods ran down the length of the tanz.  Setari and Green-suits alike were entering the ship and were claiming beds or loading equipment. 

"I am not sure. Do you think I really need it?" I responded.

"Passing through the Gate in deep-space can be more unsettling than passing through Gates in Near-space.  Some people experience vertigo, nausea, or headaches.  Others just respond like it is a mild change in altitude. You were unconscious during your trip to Tare, so I am not sure how you will react," Sean answered in his clinical, doctor voice. Then in a conspiratorial whisper he added, "Don't ever let him know I told you, but even Owen takes the meds to be out before the Gate and avoid vomiting all over the place." At my wide eyes, he nodded and imitated an exaggerated regurgitation motion.

"Is Miss Sorenson ready?" Tsee Blackbourne asked, coming through the doorway to the cockpit and over to Sean and me. 

"Almost. Need anything?" Sean replied.

"We will be departing soon.  Finish your rounds and take your place," Tsee Blackbourne instructed. 

He also held out a hand, into which Sean placed a blue pill.  He turned away and Sean have me wink, mouthing "told you so".  I giggled quietly and accepted the medication Sean held out to me.  I swallowed it laid back. Sean pulled the clear cover down over me and wished me a good flight. A rumble indicated that the tanz was powering up.  He and others started hurrying into the remaining pods and a countdown started over the Interface.  I closed my eyes and relaxed my head into the mini-pillow.  Breathing deeply, I could feel myself start to drift as the ship trembled and lifted off the ground.

******
Interface Channel: Secure, Code-Access only
Users: 4S9, 4S1, 4S5

4S9: We will arrive in about 20 joden.  What were you able to find out?

4S5: The nanocam footage shows him following her around, but not getting close.  She is pretty much never alone.

4S1: Good. I will keep scheduling it that way.  Does this give us enough evidence to compel monitoring?

4S9: Not quite. However, it does give reasonable cause to activate a proximity alarm.  I will submit a request to the Council immediately. Anything else?

4S5: Have either of you kissed her yet?

4S9: Tset Taylor, that topic is not the purpose for a secure channel!

4S5: oops....well?

4S1: I think we are done.

End transmission
***********

I woke feeling a bit groggy to Silas' smiling face.  He lifted the cover for me and offered his hand.

"We made it, Aggele mou," he said as he helped me stand.  "Use the restroom and eat a protein-bar.  They will want to start as soon as possible.  We can't stay on-planet too long."

All around people were quickly working to  move equipment off the tanz.  A ramp off the side of the cargo section led down to the shore of my lake.  Beyond the open doorway I could see the crumbling village of white stone.  I walked slowly down the ramp feeling that it was surreal to be back here.  A green-suit was setting up something like a survey tripod off to my left and another was taking a water sample to my right.

Both Second and Fourth Squad were pairing off to scout the nearby area, though Silas was staying by my side.  His calm strength helped to ease my anxiety and I took a moment to just breathe in the pure, fresh air.  Unlike Tare, whose complex air filtration system often left the air with a sterile smell, Muina's was full of natural smells.  Pine and flowers and dirt, it was a nice change. 

We stood together watching the others complete their various tasks.  I leaned into Silas for his warmth.  It was cooler here than when I was rescued and the color of the leaves had turned. Instead of bright blues, there were purple-reds and pale lavenders.  A fair amount of foliage had fallen and leaves swirled around in little wind dervishes. I pointed this out to Silas.

"Do you the leaves change color on Kolar?" I asked him.

"No, why?" He responded.

"It indicates a change of seasons," I explained. "This looks like 'Autumn' back on Earth, at least from where I lived before.  When I was rescued it must have been late 'Spring' or early 'Summer' in this region of Muina. So I guess it will turn to 'Winter' soon. Are there any changes in season on Kolar?" I used the English words since there were no Taren equivalents popping up from the Interface. On Tare it was just raining or not raining. 

"Not in South Kolar. It stays tropical.  And I think it mostly stays frozen in North Kolar, but they might have a short warm season. You would have to ask Raven," he replied.

"I bet he would be awesome in a snowball fight," I said. 

"Snowball?" Silas questioned.

"Yes, you collect the snow into fist sized balls and throw them at one another. It's fun. Actually, you would probably be pretty good too," I said and then imagined him winding up for a throw, like a baseball pitcher.

Some of the Setari returned having finished checking for nearby danger.  Tsee Blackbourne and Tsee Toma walked together towards us.

"Looks like they are ready for us," Silas said as they approached.

"Miss Sorenson, you said the aether funneled to the amphitheater. We can start there. Please lead the way," Tsee Blackbourne said with a nod toward the village center.

I released a breath and took the path that would pass by Camp Sang.  I hoped my being here would help, but unless the Setari needed to enhance for an Ionoth battle, what difference would it make?