65. S4-Report

"Go. Get out of here," I said, trying to make that Ionoth cat scram. "Vic, this is ridiculous. We should just kill it."

"No!" He yelled and blocked my foot. Geez, I wasn't going to kick it, just give a light nudge to get it moving. Instead, it was coming after me, rubbing up against my legs.

"I promised her," he explained.

"Well, that's just great," I muttered. "Now, we can't get rid of it. I've brought it back twice, but wake up the next shift with it curled up in my bed!" I tried stepping back a few paces but this thing was relentless, and the fucking thing Sang called 'purring' was making it worse. If this creature hadn't gotten it's claws into Sang Baby, I'd have extinguished it the first time Vic dragged me out here in this errand.

"I think it likes you," he smirked.

"Don't even go there," I tried to stop him, but he went there anyway.

"It's the Nils Effect, just like the Setari Watchsites say...ha, ha," Vic laughed.

Oh, for fuck's sake. That stupid name they'd labelled me and then this absurd reaction that the fans swore the mere sight of me caused. I rolled my eyes. They couldn't have picked a Setari more averse to the attention. There were plenty of other more attractive Setari, they could have fixated on...but no. I get stuck with this reputation.

My brothers all knew this grated on my nerves, but Victor kept it up as we started walking back to the Gate.

"Just the other day, five girls reported fainting at the very sight of Nils....let's see..how did they put it? Oh yes, scoring in a tairo match with masterful precision and bold, aggressive moves that showcased his..." I cut him off with a chop to the shoulder.

"You should be the one to talk, Victor Morgan," I grunted. "I expect this torture from Luke. Why are you messing with me?"

"Oh, just trying to distract you from your shadow," Victor threw out, with a sly wink.

I spun around. Ends to Muina! It was still following us.

"Fuck. What are we going to do?" I asked.

"Well, you could...." He drifted off and gave me an odd look.

"What? What are you thinking? Oh, no way! Nope. ..not happening...." I argued against his silent suggestion.

That's when it jumped up into my arms. I swear the only reason I didn't drop it right then is because it would hurt Sang's feelings. Then it started snuggling and doing that purring thing again.

Fuck. "Fine, but you stay out of my bed. I don't like those grey hairs on my black sheets. That shit shows up again and I'll....well, I'll think of something."

I scratched behind its ears like Sang did and the rumbling against my chest increased.

"Sang named it Ghost, if you care," Vic said, not bothering to cover his wide grin.

"Shut-up," I grumbled as we approached the KOTIS Gate Lock.