16. Stay

Kota came back out sometime later, showered and no longer in the Setari uniform, but a loose-fitting shirt and pants. "I am sorry to leave you alone like that, Sang. Did you get enough to eat?" I nodded as he grabbed his own deserted plate and finished off its contents. "I have good news from Tsee Blackbourne. You can stay out of MedBay tonight. Ista Green, Sean, will continue medical monitoring, but at least you don't have to be surrounded by medics all the time." I smiled at that.

Kota took our empty plates and showed me the cleaning unit. It only somewhat resembled the dishwasher in my parent's house. When I asked how it worked, he paused and said his squadmate Silas would be the best to ask. We moved to the sitting area and I took one end of a couch, my back against the arm with one leg stretched out and the other up, knee bent. He mirrored me, our legs slightly touching.

"I hope you don't mind, but I reviewed Roan's interview with you about your time on Muina," Kota mentioned breaking the few minutes of silence.

"Not very good talk Taren. Hard to say all I see and do," I said trying to excuse a discussion that must have been even more horribly articulated than my current stumbling Taren.

"You're doing well enough. I was wondering about when you first came through the Gate."

"Gate name way I come Earth to Muina?"

"Oh, yes. Gates are the openings between the spaces. Some are permanent, others temporary. Some stay in the same location while others move on a schedule. Still others are completely unpredictable, perhaps opening once, then never again. It's why almost all squads have someone with Path Sight, to prevent getting lost in the Ena. Exploration missions are dangerous for multiple reasons...but anyway. You seemed to be trying to say you wanted to leave home..." he prompted.

Ugh, how do I explain it? How did he even pick up on that from the interview? I tried, "My mother not like me and sister talk to people. I stay alone house. Earth not have Interface, all kids go to school. I not talk to others school. Mother say all people bad, hurt or steal. I want show self not true. I need leave one night away house. Pack things, walk out..come Muina Gate." I sighed and dropped my forehead to my knee. Now, Kota would know that I was stranger than even just some stray with an unknown ability. I had been a true misfit even on my home world. Surely, he would send me back to my box room in MedBay.

"Sang." I felt a touch, lifting my chin. "You won't be alone here. My squad and I, well all Setari really, we come to the Academy very young. Some earlier than others, Sean's been here practically since birth, but we enter as Kalrani and we hardly leave. Even then, we usually only make short visits with biological family. We don't get to know others outside, partly because of the training and mission schedules, but also because of the Taren obsession with the Setari, it means they never see past the black uniforms. The bonds we form with each other, within our squads, are stronger for it. My parents met while my mother was a KOTIS medic working with Ista Phillips. Several of us are legacies, children of Setari parents, now retired, reassigned or deceased. It's a hard life and Ionoth numbers only seem to grow, but we are saving lives, protecting our people as best we can. Now, your if ability really can make a difference, making us stronger and faster, then we have hope of holding back the tide of Ionoth until the Pillars can be fixed. KOTIS will keep looking for a way back to Earth, but I hope that even if they find it, you will choose to stay."

My eyes watered, his earnest words moving me. The Setari sounded as isolated and desperate as me, though for different reasons.

"Sorry, that was pretty heavy. Let's talk about something else. It's your turn to ask a question," Kota offered with that warm smile and sparkling emerald eyes to lighten the mood. I hesitated, trying to think of something more mundane. "Ask anything, we're friends now, right?"

I thought for a joden more then asked, "Uniforms color show job, Setari uniform black with color stripes...you green stripe science?"

He blinked, then said "Oh, well, the colors denote specialty really. It's true that green is the scientific studies designation and I've done studies in advanced physics and mathematics, but the colors can also show what psychic ability, or collection of abilities a Setari is strongest in. Sean wears a purple chevron with four stripes to show his medical training and his psionic healing talent. The number of stripes denotes his rank as equal to a squad captain. He could go by Tsee Green, but I think he likes the doctor title." Kota smirked, but continued, "The three green stripes indicate that I hold the rank of Tsen, which is below Tsee, but above Tset, that's what most Setari are, and my high ratings on telekinesis, levitation and teleportation. I have lower ratings on combat sight, speed and illusion."

Wow...Kota can fly. That sounded like a lot of talents. "Tsee Blackbourne have grey stripes?"

"Ha, yeah. Grey is for all the sight abilities he has and the expectation that he'll take his uncle's place someday. You'll meet the grey-suits, KOTIS Command, sometime soon I would guess. Tsur Buble is the head of the KOTIS Council. Speaking of sight talents....my room is a containment room with the dampening circuitry you'll need to sleep in, so you can stay here tonight."

Sleep in boy's room! I know I looked shocked.

"Hey, don't be alarmed. You can take my bed and I will use the roll-away underneath...or I can even take the couch out here...unless you'd rather go back to MedBay..."

"No!" I practically shouted, surprising both of us. "Both sleep you room fine."

"Alright," he replied, seeming pleased. "Let me get you some clean sleep clothes to borrow."

He returned from the bedroom with a grey tee shirt sort of top and blue striped pants. "I am sure these will be too big, but they have ties to tighten them. You're welcome to the bathroom to shower and change, then hop into bed. It's late and we'll be doing more testing tomorrow. I will join you shortly."

I used the restroom as Kota said, but found myself frozen standing by his bed. Forbidden territory. I didn't want him to come in and find me standing here like this, so I pulled down the covers and tucked myself in as quickly as possible. I relaxed my head back into his pillow, inhaling a delicate scent, a spicy fragrance. Soon my body warmed and I was drifting off to sleep. I awoke briefly sometime later to a darkened room. I turned over and saw Kota asleep on the roll-away, looking completely adorable. I lay, gazing over at my new friend, until sleep claimed me again.