Into the woods

"Okay, we've searched everywhere apart from one place Chadmond. "

"Twinland forest" I scrunched my nose as a sharp pain ran through my chest.

"Why don't you want to go there?" Dilly's brown eyes twinkled inquisitively.

"I never said I didn't want to go there" I smugly replied before pressing the gas peddle and speeding onto the main road,  fuck traffic rules..
"But it's so obvious that you're avoiding there" she pushed on. Pretending to be oblivious to my discomfort. "Why don't you want to go there?"

"It's where I met first met Nina"

"Ohhh tell me more about it" she giggled and rested her head on her palms like she was a kid waiting for a bedtime story.
Ugh Roderick wake up and tame your girlfriend
I looked at the sleeping Roderick who was sprawled on the backseat with his head on Dilly's thighs. He was smiling in his sleep. Occasionally mentioning how cute Dilly was. Geez.its never that deep.

He was exhausted from hiking through various places in Gransfortham looking for someone who should have been relatively easy to find with those horns on her head.
He had eaten half of the food Dilly had packed for us.

"Never"
...

"This is it. Twinland forest" I stepped onto the lush green nostalgia inducing grass.
The fresh leafy smell tickling my nostrils

"Ugh, this is why you woke me up?" Rodrick frowned at me and pulled Dilly in for a hug like a tiny human teddy bear.

"Yes. It's the last place she could possibly be"

"Let's go then " Dilly picked the huge camping backpack and strapped in on the bag. Almost falling over backwards.

"Give me that" macho Roderick to the rescue .. tan tana tanaa! He pulled off the bag from her back and added it to his.
"Let's.....go" he was struggling to breathe under all that weight.

"Ricky give me the bag. I won't have you killing yourself over me " she pulled the bag off him and secured it on her back while I stood behind and watched them with my jaw on the ground.

"Guys. We came here in a mission.. not for a camping trip"

"Yes commander" Roderick made a straight face and added a quick salute .
"It's not funny, we have to find Nina"

"The question is , when you find Nina what are you going to do? Hug the pain away?
You need to think about this Chadmond . Think this through" he spoke the first logical sentence I had heard him say since we started this trip.

"Hmm. Okay here's the plan." I pulled out a pen and my journal from the side of my bag. "We find her " I drew a deformed stick figure thingy that was to resemble Nina. It had horns and everything. "Then we trap her in ... salt and ashes " I drew a circle around the figure.

"Then what?" Dilly who had been listening attentively yawned and elbowed Roderick to keep him from dozing off.

"Then.. I dunno we talk to her? Make her understand everything?" I didn't have anymore plans . After catching her we couldn't just take her to the castle. The elders would have her killed.. again... ugh.

"Sound good to me" she rubbed her eyes

.....

Walking. We searched almost everywhere she could be in the big forest and found nothing.

"Maybe she's not here?" Roderick who was fully awake after seeing a giant snake asked.
"Well it's too late to go back now. We have to set a camp here"

"Ugh crap. I never paid attention in Boy Scouts " he face palmed and dropped the heavy camping bag after helping Dilly to take hers off."So how do we fix the tent?"

I threw the instructions at him and the three of us started trying to fix the tents.

...

Three hours later.

"Finally!" I knocked the last nail through the cloth and into the ground. I dramatically hugged the tent, "at long last .. we are done!"

Dilly rolled her eyes dramatically. "Okay genius. But you brought only two tents"

Oh shīt
"Okay, for the sake of being a gentle man I will share my tent with Roderick," I offered.

"Cool" , she smiled and wiggled her way into the green tent.

"Guess im Stuck with you for the night " I crossed my arms at him even though he couldn't see me in the dark tent.

"Goodnight Chadmond"

........

"Ah"
"Shhh"
"Oh"
*giggles*
Weird sheet noises.
Loud moans
Groan,

"What the fûck?" I was pulled out of my sleep by the disturbing sounds. I turned to my left but Roderick wasn't there.

"Very classy guys..not!" I shouted once I crawled out of the tent.

I grabbed the flashlight and took a walk around the forest.
Crunch
I stepped on a twig as I walked through the many trees.

What the hèll is that?
I jumped at the creepy creature sitting wide eyed in the tree.
I went closer to it. And it watching me with big yellow eyes.

"HOOT!", it startled me and I stumbled back only to slip on some moist leaves .

"Ouch" I wiped the grass off my arse ." Shoo shoo" I shook my hands at the proud looking bird who was now facing away from me. It ignored me."shoo! Get outta here!"

It slowly turned it head without turning its body , "hoot!" It looked at me annoyed with its head facing me from behind its body.

I backed away again , tripping on the same leaves and ending up on my arse again. This time I tried to stop my fall by holding onto a tree but I just got my palm scratched, and small beads of blood were all over the scratches ,seeping out slowly.

"Ugh fúcking bird!" I shouted at it while flipping it the finger.

"Hoot!" I swear I saw the bird smirk at me. It was daunting.

I picked myself off the ground and ignored the proud bird .
My shoes seemed to be making extra noises today as I walked in between the tall trees of the forest,

What's that? I found myself asking as I heard another slither across the moist grass. The sounds were making me anxious and my head was aching from all the turning,

Maybe I should turn back, I started to turn around when my eyes caught a the reflection of the moonlight on the surface of water.
A lake,

Finally I can get somewhere to rest,
I pulled my lazy arse to the edge of the forest and peeped out to make sure no sirens or human eating creatures were in the lake. But I found something else.

Nina. And she was doing the same thing she was the doing on the first day I met her. And the day I found her again. Bathing in the moonlit lake. I don't know where the confidence came from but I slowly moved out of the shadows and the trees and stood right at the bank of the lake.

"Is it just me or you have a great affinity for getting into trouble?"

She used my own phrase as she stepped out of the water. Clad in nothing but water and moonlight.