Chapter 2 | My First Heartbreak

✔Edited✔

I came running home, tears streaming down my face. My legs wouldn't stop moving. I was running faster than I ever thought was possible. I wasn't even paying attention to my surroundings. The houses and trees nearby were all green and white blurs.

I bumped into a fellow runner and muttered "sorry" before I sped up again. Engulfed in my own thoughts, I tripped over a root. I slammed on the hard concrete sidewalk, my face planting a nice welcoming to the concrete sidewalk. Luckily, my hands and knees had caught my fall.

I fought back more tears, but one tear escaped, resulting in a small sob escaping my lips. Tears were flowing freely down my cheeks due to my fall and what had been going on. I let my hair drape around my face. I looked down at my knees to see them scraped up and bleeding. There was also dirt in the scratches.

I was about to stand up to continue running, but he was too close, so I slumped in defeat. Jeremiah bent down to my level and grabbed my arm and lifted it upwards with the other. "Are you okay?" The hazel-eyed boy looked seriously worried as he spoke. When I didn't answer him, he took a step closer, leaving only inches between us. "Are. You. Okay?"

"Yes Jeremiah, happy now?" He looked down and bit his bottom lip. He sighed before looking up at me."Now, please. Let me leave." As I was trying to go, he grabbed onto my shoulders. I swatted away his hands and I walked away slowly. I looked back at him after I was many meters away from him. He was still standing there, looking straight at me with his bright, hazel eyes. I tensed my jaw before turning around to walk home.

When I was home, I walked up to my room without even glancing at my mother. When I didn't talk to her, she followed me upstairs. I walked into my room, and I slammed the door shut behind me. My body made contact with the bed. When I was laying on the bed in my bedroom, my mom came in and sat down next to me. "What's wrong, sweetheart?" she said in a soothing tone. My mother went into full mom mode at that moment. I sat up, and she rubbed my back in comfort.

"Mom... everything has just been going wrong." I drew out a long sigh. A tear escaped my eye, so I wiped it away quickly. I wrapped my arms around my knees and rested my chin on my knees.

"Well baby, everything can't be going wrong," she stated as she smiled slightly. "I mean, you do have food, water, shelter, and clothes." She flashed a look of empathy to me. "What happened, anyway?" Her eyes flickered to my knees that were scraped and bloody. "Tell me as I clean up the scrapes on your knees in the bathroom."

I quickly replied with an "okay" in a quiet, whisper-like tone. I told my mom about all that happened as she cleaned me up. We walked out of the bathroom, cutting off the light and closing the door behind us. I wiped my makeup off and changed into sweats and a t-shirt. My mom and I headed downstairs and into the living room. My mom told me to pick a movie of my choice to cheer me up. I went to the couch and sunk into it. I looked through Netflix and decided that I would watch one of the many Marvel movies to see some badass action which would enlighten my mood.

"Okay, hun, I'm gonna get the ice cream out of the freezer. You stay put." I nodded and waited patiently for her return. I heard the doorbell ring, so I looked through the peephole in the door. I watched Jeremiah as he fixed his hair through the reflection of the window by the door. He bit his lip before knocking on the door.

"I'll get it!" my brother shouted, his voice cracking in the midst of his yelling. I giggled slightly at his voice crack. "Oh, you have it? I seriously ran down the steps for nothing? I risked dying with my asthma just for you to answer it instead. Sigh," he said obnoxiously. I rolled my eyes at his dramatic middle school tactics.