Chapter 29 | Awoken

Ada

Everything felt so surreal. Almost as if I wasn't really there. Maybe I was in a fantasy world. Maybe I died and I was sent to heaven with God. All that I knew is that I felt numb and that everything was pitch black.

It was a weird feeling if you had asked me. My eyes were glued shut, and I felt nothing in my legs, yet I could hear everything. My head was clearer than ever. Millions of thoughts ran and pranced around my brain on a big rubber track. Despite that, everything that had happened to me this school year felt clear. I understood what was going on. I couldn't have understood any of it better.

I wasn't scared anymore. I wasn't letting myself be afraid of Braxton anymore. He was gonna serve for what he did. No matter what. Jeremiah wouldn't let him get away with what he did to me. Even if I was dead. He wasn't the type to just let something like that happen. Jeremiah was gonna get justice.

I so badly wanted to open my eyes, but it was almost as if my body physically wasn't letting me do that. I could hear the machine beep and I could hear everyone speak. I heard everything Jeremiah said, and when I heard about how he felt, all that I wanted to do was be there for him and to give him a hug. He was just saying how he was the one who deserved this and that he was so upset. I remembered his sobs. I felt the kiss on my cheek. I so badly wanted to touch the ball of my cheek where he kissed me. I really wanted to raise my hand and hold his face to tell him that everything was going to turn up fine in the end.

I also remembered Samantha's cries for me to wake up and her sorries. I remembered her confessing to being such a bad friend and how she should have never dated Jeremiah. I missed that girly so much. I missed last year when everything was comfortable and safe between the three of us. But of course, hormones got in the way of that.

All of us just want to be loved. We were just too blind to see that it was already in front of us. Our little trio had so much love in it last year. And this year, that was all abandoned. I still thought that that was repairable. It was. And junior year, we were going to come back stronger than ever.

"Hey, Adi. I'm not sure if you can hear this, but I-I have to tell you something. I hope you don't hear this in a way..." Jeremiah spoke with uncertainty. His voice faded and then reentered. "I just gotta keep on telling myself to be positive... just like you. And this isn't gonna stop me from getting justice for what Braxton did." His voice faded away, and it felt like I was being thrown in a tunnel far away from everyone. It went dark.

I just wanted to hear his voice again. I wanted to see his face. Why wouldn't my body let me see his imperfect teeth or his short waves? Or maybe his dimples? Or at least his hazel eyes again. I fell asleep, imagining Jeremiah's face.

I woke up but managed to open my eyes. White flooded in my line of sight. Either I had died, or I had finally woken up. It was difficult to tell with my vision being white. Colors began to pepper into my sight, and I half expected to see God himself on a golden chair, surrounded by angels.

The first thing I saw was the white ceiling tiles. I began to freak out as I looked to the side to see a machine beeping quicker than what I heard earlier. I had tried to sit up but felt my whole body ache, hindering it difficult. "Mom?" I croaked, looking around carefully. "Mom!" I met eyes with the face of my mother.

"Oh, honey." My mom hovered over me, caressing my cheek and showering me with tears of joy and kisses. "Baby, I love you so much. Don't scare me like that," she managed to say over clouds of emotion. I smiled so wide at seeing her so happy. "I'm so glad you're awake."