Chapter 28 | What Now?

Jeremiah

It was the next day. I texted Samantha as soon as I had processed all that had happened. She wasn't able to come last night because she couldn't drive yet and her parents were unable to take her because of her little sister's dance recital. She actually found out in the lobby of where the recital was, almost breaking down. I had to calm her down through the phone although I wasn't calm either.

I looked over to Adi's hospital bed. My eyes were still sore and red from last night. I didn't sleep much that night. I stayed in the same room as my brother last night. I slept on the chair because my mom took the couch. She had to force my dad to go home with Isaiah. My younger brother didn't really go against going home. I really wondered what went on in his head.

Sami looked down at Adi, her tear-streaked cheeks flushed. She looked back over to me before standing up. She rushed toward me, looking down at her feet as she walked over.

"I-I emailed the principal of our school and told her about what happened. She responded and said that everything was being taken care of. Braxton's Instagram account was permanently suspended and taken down, and he was taken into the custody of the police to ask him questions about the situation that happened. They want to speak to Adi about it when she wakes up," she said quietly and rushed. She sniffled and pushed my arm away when I attempted to wrap it around her shoulder in reassurance.

I was taken aback, to say the least. "Can we talk, Jeremiah? Maybe in the cafeteria?" I nodded in response.

"Mmhmm. Yeah. I have something I've wanted to say too," I responded, wondering what she was going to say. I wasn't sure if it was the best time to figure this out, but I decided to go through with it anyway.

We sat down at one of the white and blue round tables. "Do you want something to drink? A soda, maybe?" I asked calmly, feeling awkward for whatever reason. I tapped my fingers on the table.

"Ah, no. It's fine. But what wanted to talk to you about wa-"

"I'm going to go and get something for myself real quickly. I'll be back in a sec," I interrupted. I stood up suddenly, hurrying to the vending machines. I shoved the quarters in and decided to get a coke. The coke dropped from the rack so I grabbed it, walking back slowly. I sat back down and opened the can. "Sorry; go ahead and continue."

I focused my attention on the sign that was in sight behind her. "So I've been thinking about us. And our future." She grabbed onto my forearm and sighed out. "This is probably the worst time to say this kind of thing." I took another sip of the soda. "I'm breaking up with you," she said calmly, averting her eyes from my own. I practically choked on my soda, and it sprayed out of my mouth with the news. I thought that things like that only happened in the movies.

"I'm sorry. I just feel like there wasn't any magic in the relationship and it was all puppy love. You never even said 'I love you'. It was always 'love ya', or something similar." I clenched my jaw and looked away from her sight because I knew it was true. I was just hiding my true feelings. She grabbed onto my cheek and made me look back at her. "I know the truth, Jeremiah." She smiled slightly, almost as if it was fake.

"Wait, what do you mean?" My palms got sweaty. I gulped dryly before taking another sip.

"You love Ada. I have no doubt about that. I-it's just the way you look at her and interact with her. I especially started to notice that around December. Um, I think it was when we went skating when I started feeling suspicious. I mean, the way you responded to her in her outfit. I could feel the sexual tension between you two. And when you grabbed onto her waist and were so worried about after we all fell, although you were the most injured. Not to mention you giving her your hoodie. You also seemed very defensive when Braxton and Li- I'll stop. I'm sorry. This isn't about me." She looked away, almost ashamed. I clenched my jaw again with Braxton's name mentioned. I tried not to think about Liam.