Chapter 33 | School

I stretched out my arms as I laid on the couch in the living room. I was finally home, and while that meant I was in the comforts of my own home where I could access all my belongings and have my mom's astounding food, it also meant that I was living in a house that wasn't wheelchair friendly and it would be more difficult to see Jackson.

I say really glad that I met him. He really helped me for those first weeks of rehabilitation. It was so much easier to handle it when I knew there was someone that has dealt with being in a wheelchair their whole life. Of course he was far more used to it than I was, but the support was still there.

I also knew that he would miss my presence because we had basically become best wheelchair buddies. Of course, I also expected Samantha to visit the rehabilitation facility with them having their little blooming relationship.

I honestly was sure that he didn't have many friends based on how often he would hang out with me and on the assumption since he never introduced me to other people our age or ever mentioned them.

Apparently he also spend a lot of time in his studies. I swear he was a genius with all the languages he knew. He was even able to help me with my German schoolwork that was delivered to me via mom, Sam, or Jeremiah. He was working to get a full ride scholarship to some university. He'll find out soon whether he got into anything. I was excited for him.

Getting ready for school was proven to be a bit of a challenge without me being able to really go upstairs. We were lucky enough to have a bathroom with a shower-tub on the bottom floor of our home which made it easy access for me. She even bought a special stool for me to sit on specifically for when I took showers. She did have to start working more shifts, but our dad was also paying for the hospital and rehabilitation bills. They split the cost of everything in regards to my current situation.

Since I was now taking my showers before going to bed to give me more time to get ready in the morning, I went straight off the couch to change, instead. My mom would prepare my outfit the night before and bring it down to me. I grabbed the outfit off the coffee table after moving to my wheelchair.

I changed into the outfit. It used to be a struggle to change pants with being in a wheelchair, but that too, I had gotten used to doing. Of course, I wasn't really wearing skinny jeans like I normally would've since I would've had to wiggle into them(which I can't do.) Today I was wearing some joggers and a light green, long sleeved shirt. I also was wearing Jeremiah's hoodie. I really loved that hoodie, almost as much as Jeremiah.

Granted, I was really nervous about today. It was also the last week of February. The indoor track season was almost over. I really missed a lot of school. I somehow still managed to stay caught up with my classes for the most part since we hired some personal tutors to help me. Not to mention my lovely best friend and my lovely boyfriend.

I could've opted to have the short bus pick me up from my house, but we decided that my mom would drive me to school since we had enough space in the trunk for the wheelchair. I finished getting ready for school and picked up my bookbag and put it on my lap. My mom rolled me out the house and down the ramp my father installed recently when I was in rehabilitation.

After almost five minutes of my mom struggling to get me and my wheelchair in the car, we end up doing it. I was honestly very impressed with my mom being able to lift me up because I was kind of heavy. Super mom to the rescue!

We finally made it to school and to say the least, I was nervous as heck. Situations just flew through my brain when we were driving closer and still were going through my brain when I arrived.

"Hey, sweetie. Make sure you have a good day at school," my mom reassured, maybe more for her sake than mine.

"I will, mom. Don't worry. I was also planning on staying after to hang out with Jeremiah. I'm going to watch the track team practice," I responded, smiling as I thought of him. Normally, I would've done cross country into November, and then indoor track into early March, and then straight into track right after indoor track was over. Of course, I couldn't run anymore, but I could stay at practices and meets to support the team and do homework while watching. I rolled into the building which luckily didn't have stairs to get into. I was really gonna get my cross-training in with me having to wheel around everywhere.