Chapter 19 | Slow Down

Edited

How does this guy know how to treat his own wound? I decided to ask him how he knew out of fear. "And you know how to do this how?" He was treating the wound still. "I learned how in one of those survival-type of class that I took with my dad." I nodded, not getting a more exciting reason from him.

I still felt very uncomfortable around him after what he had done. I decided to put on my winter coat so I would be covered better and because it was cold. "When can I get home?" I asked because I can't drive yet because I'm only fifteen. "We can leave now." I nodded.

We walked outside the door and a blast of cold air hit my face. Braxton attempted to wrap an arm around me but I moved away from him. I opened the passenger door for myself and hopped in. We drove off and I was feeling nauseous, I felt like something bad was gonna happen.

The roads were covered with black ice so I wanted us to be cautious. Braxton didn't care though, he was still speeding. "Hey, Braxton? I think we need to slow down because the road is covered with ice." I looked out the window in worry. "It'll be fine, I've driven in worse conditions."

I opened my phone with Jeremiah's contact open so I could text or call him if I needed to. I grasped onto my seatbelt tightly and looked forward towards the road. As we were driving, a car swerved and almost crashed into us. I texted Jeremiah, my hands extremely shaky.

Me: Hey mah dude

A minute later, the dots appeared and I got a reply.

Jeremiah: Hiya mah woman dude
Jeremiah: Is everything alright?!?!?
Me: Can I go to your house, I need someone to talk to
Jeremiah: Yeah of course, no need to ask... you're always welcome
Me: k thnx
Jeremiah: np

I was still looking down at my phone when Braxton slammed the breaks. I hit my head on the dashboard. My head started to pound in pain. We spun and spun before the truck crashed into a guardrail and the truck came to a halt. The airbags came out due to the impact. It crushed me slightly and knocked the air out of me.

I looked over to Braxton and he was fine. The first thing that I did was call Jeremiah. He answered me instantly.

"Hey, uh, I just got in a small car accident." My breathing was still labored and my voice was high.

"Oh. A. Are... are you okay. Please tell me you're." I interrupted him since he was freaking out.

"I-I'm fine. I think." I also told him where I was.

"I-I I'm on my way, right now. Stay on the phone with me until I get there." Jeremiah sounded super concerned and I felt bad that I probably woke him up because he is supposed to go to bed around nine to rest his arm.

Once I was able to, I got out of the car to see the damage. My walk was kind of staggered and weird, probably because of shock. The damage wasn't bad; it was still drivable. "Hey, Jeremiah, please don't, don't speed, that's how this happened in the first place." I was feeling tired, I leaned against the car that was still running. It was keeping me warm. This part of the ground was fairly dry so I sat down.

"Stay awake Ada, I think you're about to pass out or something. Please just stay awake." The area around me was becoming dark. Speckles of black were darkening my vision. "I'll be there in ten minutes Adi." He said the nickname that he has always given me that I used to hate. I smiled and sleep took over me.

I woke up to the sound of arguing. I looked up, my vision blurry. "You are always getting Ada in trouble in some way." Braxton shoved Jeremiah in the chest.