Chapter 14 | Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving, the only holiday I dread. This family holiday isn't my favorite because the arguments between my parents increase. Every year, my father calls because he wants to have thanksgiving with us. My mom denies him each year, lying by saying she has a boyfriend or something of that sort.

I was sitting in the living room, watching my favorite show in my unicorn onesie. There was a white mug of hot, earl grey tea in my hand. In the other room, I heard my mom on the phone. Based on her footsteps, it sounded like she was pacing. She must be talking to my father again about holiday arrangements.

The door from the office to the living room slammed open and my mom hung up the call and looked at me.

"I've got some great news honey, your father is in town so we are going to spend thanksgiving with him this year!" My mom said, her face filled with elation.

I groaned and looked back at the tv, rolling my eyes in the process. I hesitated but chose to pause my show.

"Mom, can't we just go to Aunt Amina's house like we usually do." I whinned in protest while sinking into the leather couch.

"Sweety, we are finally getting along." My mother gave me a small smile.

"After what he did to us?" I said, also raising my voice.

"Hon, I understand that you don't like your father, but he is much better now. He went to online college and got a job in coding, that job payes well. He is even sober now. Give him a chance." My mom's eyes were full of hope and were peering into my soul.

"Ugh," I said with great emphasis. "I guess so but don't ask me to actually talk to him, cause I won't." I rolled my eyes again and put my body further in the blankets surrounding me.

My mom walked into the other room to tell my brother the 'oh so great' news. My little brother doesn't really know why he left because my mom wanted to protect him, she also tried to keep it from me but I put things together and found out what he did.

My phone buzzed and I checked it. There was a text from Jeremiah.

J: Hey Hey Hey
A: Wats up?!?!?!?
J: Nothin much my mom was wondering if we could have a big thanksgiving with your family, my family, and Samanthas family
A:What about Braxtons fam???
The bubbles were moving but then they stopped, they started again. He finally replied.
J: If his family is ok with it.
A: I'll ask my mom but it might not happen since my father wants to spend it with us.
J: Your dad?? I thought he left.
A: My mom decided that it would be a "wonderful" idea to have thanksgiving with him
J: God I'm sorry
A: Welp, there is nothing we can do about it
J: I'll ttyl
A: K Jeremiah, ttyl

After I peeled myself out of the couch, I went to my mom and asked about the friendsgiving, I doubt that she'll say yes but it's a try.

"Mom! Hey mom!" I called in a talk shout tone as I walked around the house.

"Yes Ada." She said as she walked down the stairs. "What do you need?"

"I was just wondering if we could have thanksgiving with Jeremiah and his family, Samantha and her family, and Braxton and his family."

"Sweety we rea-."

I cut her off and replied. "We could all bring our own thanksgiving dishes and it could be a big feast, Jeremiah's house is big enough." At this point I sounded desperate.

"Let me think about it." My mom smiled and gave me a reassuring glance.

Fireworks went off in my head, the look she gave me usually means yes so I couldn't wait. All of my friends will make thanksgiving different this year. Wait. Dad. I didn't think about dad, why does he want to get in my life and ruin it now. If he wanted in, he should have come in sooner. Like maybe when I was still young, before I knew why he left my family to fend for ourselves. Why did he have to come back. I just want him gone.