Chapter 1

I looked out my window. What I wouldn't do to be anywhere but here. I look down at my arms and legs. They were a mess. No one cared. No one cared that I was feeling this way, bad enough to hurt myself. No one cared to notice the long sleeves or the blood in the bathroom. No one cared to stop the hurt.

There was a knock at my door. I quickly put on a long sleeved black shirt and black skinny jeans. I went to my door and unlocked it as well as opening it.

My older brother was standing there. "Dinner is ready." He said to me, his kind features soothing my upset mood. I nodded my head in thanks.

I closed my door and headed downstairs along side Jessie. I entered the kitchen and saw my mom placing plates on the table. 

"Hi, honey." She smiled. I didn't reply verbally, but I sent a nod her way. Her smile faltered a bit, but she still tried.

My stepfather sat at the end of the table like he always did. Mom brought out the food from the kitchen. I sat across from Jessie and mom sat at the other end of the table, opposite of my stepfather.

We silently ate our food. That is until Jessie decided to speak up. "I have to work out of town for a few days, is that okay with you mom?" He asked. 

He was only 19, but he dropped out of high school a few years ago. My mom told him to get a job and pay rent or get out. So he got a job.

"Yep, are they paying you extra?" Mom asked. Jessie nodded. "24 bucks an hour." He stated. "That's good, how long are you going for?" My stepfather questioned.

"A month," Jessie replied. A month? He's leaving me for a month? I put my fork down and left the kitchen. I had suddenly lost my appetite.

I went up to my room and closed the door. The one person I trusted in this world and he was going away for a whole month. I can't believe this. There was a small knock on the door.

"Kit, it's me. Let me in please..." It was Jessie. He sounded sad.

I reluctantly went to my door and opened it. He had a frown on his face as he moved forward and embraced me.

"I don't want to leave, but it's good money. Maybe one day I'll have enough to get my own place and you can come live with me if you want to." He said. I looked up at him with hopeful eyes.

He knew about the trouble I was having in school. "You won't have to go to this school anymore, we can move away and start new." He smiled.

I returned his smile slightly and hugged him tightly. He was willing to do that for me. His phone started ringing and he pulled away. 

"Just a second, that's my boss." He said with a shy smile as he answered his phone.

"Jessie here." He answered. 'What a dork' I thought to myself, chuckling silently.

"Yeah. Okay. No, I understand, it's no problem." He conversed with his boss. I saw the look on his face go grim.

"Yeah, I'll catch the earliest flight I can tomorrow. Okay, good night." He ended the call. I gave him a sad look. I knew this couldn't be good.

"Looks like I'll be going for a bit longer than a month..." He told me. I looked at the ground, fighting back tears.

"Hey, it will be okay. I'll visit as often as I can, alright? I'll call you every night even though I know you won't say anything back, just so you can hear my voice, okay?" He explained.

I knew he was trying his best, but I just couldn't bear the thought of having him leave me here all alone. I once again, hugged him tightly, afraid if I let him go he will disappear forever.

"It'll be okay Kit. I'll be back before you know it." He assured me. I nodded my head.

"I have to go pack, I have to leave first thing in the morning. Goodnight." He said as he kissed the top of my forehead.

Jessie walked to his room and I closed the door to mine. I grabbed my sketchbook and decided to draw a wolf. Wolves were my favorite creature. They were so beautiful and mysterious. 

A few hours passed and I looked at my clock. 3:26am. I sighed. I needed some water. I got out of bed and I headed downstairs. I went into the kitchen and grabbed a glass and filled it with water from the tap.

The phone rang and it startled me. I picked up the phone and ran up to Jessie's room. I woke him up and gave him the phone.

"Hello?" He questioned groggily. As moments went by, his eyes slowly grew wider and his mouth opened slightly.

"Okay, thank you." He tells the person on the other end. He gets out of bed and goes into mom's room.

I didn't follow because it was most likely none of my business. I left Jessie's room and headed down the hall.

"No!" I heard my mom cry. She ran out of her room and down the hall. She rushed downstairs and outside.

"Honey, wait!" My stepfather called after her. We all ran outside, just in time to see mom's car get t-boned by a truck.

"Mom!" Jessie yelled the same time my stepfather yelled, "Anna!" I wanted to scream so badly, but I was just numb.

I fell to my knees, tears pouring from my eyes. This couldn't be happening. Not my mom... 

"Call 911!" My stepfather roared at Jessie. I just sat on the ground, mouth wide open, tears pouring from my shocked eyes.

Everything went blurry and I could hear sirens in the distance. What possibly made my mom rush out like that? Enough to have her life endangered? I couldn't remember the rest of that night.