Chapter 3

"I'm so sorry." He balled. I felt terrible that he felt like this.

Nick was taken away and Jessie and I moved away from this house and this town.

----------

3 weeks later...

I had been settled into our new house. Jessie's job paid him enough to get us by on house payment and I had gotten a job to pay for food. 

Jessie let me take the rest of the year off of school. He knows what I've been through and he doesn't want to make it worse by throwing me into a new school.

"I'm gonna go for a walk, okay?" I called to Jessie who was making supper.

"Don't be too long, dinner will be ready in about an hour." He called back.

"Alright," I answered as I grabbed my sweater and headed outside. 

March was a chilly month, but I never minded the cool, fresh air. I went into an empty park and sat on a swing. I took a deep breath and looked down at my hands.

Tears started to freely fall from my eyes. I missed my mom. She tried so hard for me. She just wanted me to be the perfect daughter. If I just would have told her I loved her, I wouldn't feel so damn guilty.

I heard a noise and my head snapped up. "Who's there?" I questioned into the woods.

I got off of the swing and slowly headed towards the woods. Yeah, like that's a smart idea Kit. 

"Hello?" I asked. Yeah, like whoever is in the woods in gonna answer.

"Hi." I heard. I looked around but didn't see anyone. 

"Up here." The same voice spoke. I slowly looked up, and sure enough, there was someone there.

He hopped down and stood in front of me. He had a white hoodie, stained red. His eyes looked like his lids had been burned off and his hair was a charcoal black. And that smile. I couldn't forget that smile even if I tried. It had been carved onto his face.

"Who are you?" I questioned the strange boy. Oddly I wasn't afraid. Every fiber in my body told me to be afraid of this boy, but I just couldn't find it in me.

There were much scarier things in the world.

"Jeff. You?" He asked, cocking his head to the side.

"Kit," I replied. He nodded. "I've never seen you around here before." He told me.

"I just moved here a few weeks ago," I stated, looking at the sleeves on my sweater.

I took my phone out of my pocket to check the time. Jeff grabbed it from my hand.

"Hey!" I gasped. "Don't worry, I'm just putting my number in here." He chuckled.

He handed me my phone back. "Whenever you wanna talk or hang out, just message me." He smiled.

"I better get going, my brother probably has dinner ready. I'll message you later, okay?" I said with a small smile.

"Okay, talk to you later." He attemted to wink as he disappeared into the woods.

I walked home. He was the first person in years that I've had a decent conversation with. He may be weird, but I'm okay with that. He's the only person who hasn't bullied me yet. I smiled as I went through the front door of the house.

"I'm back!" I called. No answer. Hmm, that's weird. I went into the kitchen and I saw dinner on the table, along with a note.

'Sorry sis, I had to go to work, they called me in. I'll be home later. Help yourself to some supper. Love you <3 ~Jessie'

Great. I didn't feel too hungry, so I just put it in the fridge. I went up to my room and got out my sketchbook.

I decided to draw a dragon. It's funny how I draw animals that are either non-existent or they are dangerous. They just appeal to me.

After a while, I finished drawing. Jessie still wasn't home and I was bored. I pulled out my phone and decided to message Jeff.

Me- Hey Jeff, it's Kit :P

Jeff- Hey Kit, what's up?

Me- Not much, just waiting for my brother to get home. You?

Jeff- Just finished playing video games with Ben

Me- Fun lol

Jeff- He cheats :(

Me- Aw poor Jeff :'( Hang on a sec, I think my brother is home.

Jeff- Ok I'll be waiting :)

I put my phone down and begin to head downstairs. That is until I heard voices that were not my brother's.

"Make sure you get everything of value." I heard a scruffy voice. My heart started racing.

I quickly tip toed upstairs. I grabbed my phone and turned it on. I messaged Jeff that there was someone in my house. He asked where I lived and I told him. Then I called the cops.

"There's someone in my house, I heard a man say to 'get everything of value' please hurry. My address is-." Then my phone died. Shit.

I grabbed the knife that I kept in my room, just in case something like this happened. I carefully made my way down the stairs. 

"Who are you?" I asked the man stealing money from a drawer. 

He jumped, clearly startled. He spun around facing me with a knife in his hand. I showed him my knife too.

"Now, you can put my stuff back and get out, unless you want this knife somewhere in your body," I said innocently.

"Haha. Like I'm afraid of a little girl." He spat. "You should be." I retorted.

He lunged at me, taking me by surprise. I dropped my knife. It clattered on the tile floor, away from my reach.

"What are you gonna do now little girl?" He laughed. 

"She's not going to do anything, I am." I heard Jeff's voice from behind the man.

The man spun around and I used this as a chance to grab my knife. 

"Hey, asshole." I tapped him on the shoulder. He faced me again and I stabbed him in the stomach.

"You broke into the wrong house," I said just above a whisper as I twisted the knife around in his stomach.

He spit blood on me. After he fell to the floor, lifeless, I just realized what I had done. 

"Oh my god..." I whimpered as I dropped the knife. It rattled on the floor.

I fell to my knees in the pile of the man's blood. I looked at my red hands, and then at Jeff.

"What have I done...?" I whispered, still in shock.

"Come on, let's get you cleaned up, I'll have this taken care of," Jeff said to me as he gently helped me off of the ground.

He aided me up the stairs and we went to the bathroom. He hoisted me up onto the counter. He looked through cupboards until he found what he was looking for. He wet the face cloth and gently wiped my hands with it.

"I could have done that for you, you know that, right?" He said as he looked at my face.

"I'm a killer..." I said quietly. He shook his head. "I'm a killer. I would have killed that guy just for breathing. You did it to protect yourself." He explained simply.

I looked at him confused. "You kill people?" I asked. He looked at me straight in the eyes. "Yes." He stated.

I nodded my head. Surprisingly that didn't bother me. He continued cleaning up and I just sat there silently.