Chapter 2

Everything went blurry and I could hear sirens in the distance. What possibly made my mom rush out like that? Enough to have her life endangered? I couldn't remember the rest of that night.  

---------

Two days later

It's been two days since my mom's accident. Jessie had gone to work this morning and I won't be seeing him for a while. My stepfather has been drinking and he's out all night until early in the morning.

The accident hasn't been easy on any of us. My mom had died as soon as she was admitted to the hospital. I was so broken and torn. My stepfather made it hard for me to want to stay home from school, so that's where I went. 

It was horrible. People were just as awful and the fact that my mom passed away makes everything harder. I can't take this damn life anymore.

By the time I got home, Nick, my stepfather had already left to go to wherever it is he goes. I went up to my room and grabbed my sketchbook. I continued my sketch of the wolf I had started that night.

Water splashed on my page. It wasn't just water, it was my tears. She's gone... And I never told her I loved her.

I threw my sketchbook across my room and put my head on my knees. I started sobbing. Why? Why me?

I heard a big banging noise downstairs. I carefully got out of my bed and walked towards my door. I started down the stairs so I could listen.

"Oh, Anna..." I heard Nick groan quietly. I heard him snarl then glass shattered.

"Why did you fucking leave me!" He howled. It didn't end well when he got like this.

I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and I dialed Jessie's number. Just as I was about to click call, my phone was knocked out of my hand. I looked up and saw Nick.

"Come here." He growled as he grabbed me. I tried to pull away but his grip was too rough.

I whimpered as I attempted to reach for my phone. I needed to call Jessie. Or at least 911.

"Since your mother is gone, I need to be satisfied." He slurred. My heart stopped beating. Was he talking about..? Oh god no.

I vigorously shook my head. He dragged me towards my bedroom. I took a deep breath then bit him as hard as I could. The metallic taste of blood filled my mouth. He released me, screaming loudly.

I ran away and down the stairs. My cell phone had fallen to the bottom of the stairs, so I had picked it up when I got to it. I clicked call and the phone started to ring Jessie's number.

I cleared my throat, I had to speak in order to save my life. I barely talked, I had no one to talk to, so my voice is bound to be rough.

"Hello?" Jessie's voice was heard through the phone.

"Help... Me..." I whimpered as loud as I could, which wasn't very.

"Kit? Kit is that you??" Jessie's voice sounded surprised.

"Help me," I begged again, more clearly this time. There was a moment of silence.

"Where are you?" Jessie asked me seriously. "You stupid bitch!" Nick yelled.

"Is that Nick??" Jessie questioned worriedly. "Yes. Help." I started crying by now. I was so scared of what was going to happen.

"I'm an hour away, just hold on," Jessie told me. "Hide." He added. "I'm going into a no cell recep-." Was all I heard before the call dropped.

No, no, no. I looked around for somewhere to hide. "I'm gonna kill you when I get down there!" Nick shouted.

I turned my phone on again and dialed 911. Just as the phone started to ring, it died. "No..." I cried quietly.

I hid in the kitchen in the cleaning supply closet. There was enough room in there for me to sit on the floor comfortably. 

I could hear thundering footsteps coming from the stairs. My heart raced as I tried to keep calm. Tears were streaming down my face. I couldn't take this anymore. I wish my mom was here. I wish Jessie could protect me. I wish Nick wasn't like this.

His angry footsteps stopped outside of the closet. I held my breath. The shadow of his feet moved away from the closet and I thought I was safe.

The door flew open and an angry, drunk Nick was standing there. He grabbed me by my hair. I screamed in pain. 

"Shut up!" He hissed as he slammed my head against the wall.  I yelped in pain.

He dragged me upstairs and I fought every step of the way. He threw me into my room. I got up and tried to run away. He shoved me on to my bed.

"No, please!" I begged. "So now you talk, huh bitch?" He slurred angrily. He showed me his arm. 

"You see this? You fucking bit me." He spat. "You wouldn't let go." I pointed out.

He back handed me across the face. I needed to stall. Jessie will be here in like 45 minutes. Hopefully, he called the police. 

"You're going to pay for that big time." He smirked. He ripped my shirt off.

"No!" I cried. I tried to hide myself. He moved my hands and pinned them above my head. 

He then pulled down my pants. In one swift movement, my bra was off too. I cried and begged for mercy. I could feel his sick smile as he kissed my stomach.

The next 8 minutes were awful. I counted every second.

Just as he was finishing up, there was a loud noise downstairs. Thank god, someone is here.

"Come down here you sick son of a bitch!" I heard Jessie's voice. 

Tears of joy fell from my eyes. He came. Nick growled and put his boxer and pants on. After he left the room, I forced myself to get to my closet. I slowly put on new clothes.

I collapsed on the floor. I can't believe that happened to me... I was shaking, mortified about what happened.

I just remember that Jessie is downstairs with Nick. What if he hurts Jessie?? I weakly got up and headed downstairs. I saw Nick and Jessie having a full out fist fight. I heard sirens and at the moment, Jessie had the upper hand.

When the cops finally arrived, Jessie came over to me and hugged me tightly.

"I'm so sorry Kit..." He sobbed as he held me tenderly.

"You're here now. You're here now..." I whispered. 

"Did he...?" Jessie asked hesitantly. I paused.

I slowly starting nodding my head as tears poured from my eyes. He held me tightly and cried. 

"I'm so sorry." He balled. I felt terrible that he felt like this.

Nick was taken away and Jessie and I moved away from this house and this town.