Chapter 26

"I'm going to kill that bitch." Jeff was shaking with fury. I shook my head. "Jeff when the time comes we will be ready." I told him. "Now. Let's go home." I told him with a weak smile.

He nodded his head and helped me up. I'd feel safer with everyone around. Now that I have a baby growing inside of me I need to be extra careful.
______________________________

"Jeff I'm pregnant not crippled." I told him as he ushered me into the car. It was storming really bad so Jeff wanted to get a move on before it got even worse.

"Are you sure you can drive in this?" I asked him once he got in the car. "Yeah. We will be ok." He said. I don't know who he was trying to convince more, me or himself.

The rain was coming down in heaps and and the lightning was as bright as ever. When the thunder claps I jump slightly because it's really loud. "Jeff maybe we should go back. Or at least pull over until the storm passes." I told him just above a whisper.

"No! We have to get you home. It isn't safe here. Or anywhere." He said worriedly as he tried to keep his eyes focused on what was visible. The car kept sliding so Jeff had to drastically reduce his speed.

I could tell he was really worried because he was extremely tense. "I'll get you home safely. I promise." He told me and gently patted my thigh with one of his hands, not moving his eyes from the barely visible road.

"Jeff... I'm scared. I want to go back. Please." I begged him. "It's not safe there Kit. Jane was there and I didn't even notice. She could have hurt you and if she did I would never forgive myself. You don't understand how much you mean to me and how badly I need to keep you safe." He explained.

"Jeff. She didn't hurt me. I'm too valuable to her while I'm pregnant. She won't lay a finger on me." I reassured him. "She might not, but others will try and I can't take that kind of risk." He breathed in deeply.

"You will be there to protect me. I won't leave your sight I promise just please turn around." Tears were now falling out of my eyes. I know he couldn't see a damn thing and I was scared. Right now I just needed to be held and reassured that everything was okay.

He let out a sigh. "Fine. But as soon as the storm clears up we are leaving, am I clear?" He took his eyes off the road momentarily. I nodded my head in agreement.

I heard tires screeching and saw bright lights. Jeff swerved to the right, slamming the brakes and I felt us slide into a ditch. Jeff looked at me with a terrified look. "Are you okay? Is the baby okay? I'm so sorry I shouldn't have looked off the road. Please be okay..." He panicked as he checked me over and felt around my stomach.

"I'm okay Jeff, are you alright?" I asked him, just as worried. He nodded his head. "I'm so sorry Kit I didn't think that this would happen I just looked over to make sure you were okay and then-." He was hyperventiating.

"Jeff. It's okay. We are all okay. Let's just get this car out of the ditch and go back to the house." I gently grabbed his arm and squeezed lightly.

"Okay, okay. Let me call the tow truck." Jeff huffed. He threw his phone into the backseat. "No reception." He looked down at his lap. "We are stuck here..?" I questioned. He reluctantly nodded his head.

I took his hand in mine and looked him in the eye. "We are gonna be okay." I said. I put his hand on my stomach. "All of us." I finished. He smiled gently.

--------------------------

It's been a few hours and the storm hasn't let up. I was hungry and cold. Jeff gave me one of his sweaters from his suitcase. "Sorry about the blood stains." He looked shy. "It's okay Jeff. It's who you are." I told him with a small smile. I shivered slightly and Jeff looked worried. "Do you need another sweater?" He asked me as he started to reach in the back.

"N-no. I'm okay..." I told him as I curled up in a smaller ball. "You must be hungry." He said to me. I shrugged my shoulders. Having a baby inside me has increased my appetite slightly.

"I brought some granola bars. Here." He handed me two chocolate coated granola bars. I smiled in appreciation and ate them. I knew that Jeff wanted to get out of the car to get help but he wouldn't leave me by myself.

"I'm so torn between what to do Kit..." He confided in me. I gave him a confused look. "I don't know what to do. You're freezing, starving and probably uncomfortable. It's storming really badly outside and I can see the ditch starting to flood. I don't know if we should sit here or if I should get you out. It's risky either way." He explained.

I gently took his hands. "Don't worry about me Jeff. Do what you have to do. Don't let me waiver your decision on what you think is right." I told him. He sighed. "Will you be okay here by yourself...?" He asked. I nodded my head.

"Okay. I'm going to try and find some help. Don't go anywhere." He said as he kissed my cheek. I nodded my head and watched him leave the car. I saw him for a moment before he disappeared into the storm. The wind was howling and I was getting colder by the minute.

"Please come back to me soon..." I whispered as I closed my eyes and drifted off into a deep sleep.