Chapter Two: Defenders of the Realm

The girl moved like water, painting a picture noise alone could never achieve

The girl moved like water, painting a picture noise alone could never achieve. Every step was airy and light, there was no sound of footfall nor of a stumble. Even when they made it to a rocky hill she still walked as if she were floating a few inches off the ground - no pebbles brushed against her feet or were accidentally kicked down the edge. Barry, on the other hand, had tripped almost five times just trying to climb up the damn thing.

The stranger's dark brown eyes glanced back at him as she came to a halt, shining like two beetles under the moonlight. In front of her was a cave mouth of impenetrable blackness that seemed to carve its way deep into the earth. Barry made a face of distrust, though beneath the mask he wasn't entirely sure if she had seen it. Either way, the girl didn't appear too bothered about whether he intended to join her or not, because her gaze was soon forced straight ahead again and she disappeared into the cave.

Flash grimaced at the whole situation. For all he knew that woman could have been a fire breathing monster, and this could have been her nest. The idea was ridiculous, of course, but when your daily life consisted of flying aliens and shape shifters nothing was impossible.

Barry groaned, trying to remind himself that outrunning her should be easy if she was planning something horrible... should be. With an air of reluctance he stepped inside and watched as his shadow dissolved into the surrounding darkness. It was damp and the only sound was the dripping of an unknown water source.

Barry extended his hands out in front of himself in fear that he might bump into something, soon after though there was a spark in the distance that lit up the second half of the cave. Barry felt every muscle in his body contract. He'd seen that light before...

It's shapeless form expanded and it was  eclipsed by the woman he had been trailing after. In one small flicker she was gone, vanishing in front of his eyes.  Barry's breath hitched in his throat. He was certain now, he definitely knew what this was. All hesitation left him as he followed her through the portal, and once the blinding brightness had dimmed, he saw that he had been teleported into a tower - The Tower of Fate, to be more specific.

They were on the top floor, skipping the numerous stairs that twirled the length of the structure. The room itself was larger than the one he remembered from his own time, and full of ancient Egyptian artifacts. The only thing that was missing was a live mummy... but Barry wasn't too disappointed that there wasn't one.

The black haired woman suddenly came into his line of sight again, blocking his view of a rather large slab of gold with Hieroglyphics engraved into it.

"Wait here." She said sternly, and with a fairly strong accent wavering over each word.

Barry's mind hadn't registered that she'd actually said something in English. His first instinct was to nod, whether he understood her or not, and his second was to gasp in so much air that his lungs could barely hold all of the oxygen.