Chapter Seven: Quantum Leap

"Ouch!" Barry hissed as Mineko attempted to treat his wounds

"Ouch!" Barry hissed as Mineko attempted to treat his wounds. "Are you trying to help me, or to hurt me even more?"

"I apologise. I am not use to healing people that are so... fragile." Mineko replied lowly, moving to a large gash on his arm.

"F-Fragile?!" Barry huffed. "I'm not... I mean-... I think that's a bit of an oversimplification. In my time we use anti-biotics and advanced medicines. If I caught a cold it would barely effect me, someone from your time would find it deadly."

"Ah, but a cut is just too much for you to handle?" She teased.

"I didn't say that! I just... I'm not use to such primitive methods, so of course I'd find it more painful than y-" Barry paused, eyes flicking up to meet hers in slight surprised. "Wait, was that a joke? Did you actually make a joke?"

"I'm goal-oriented, not humourless." Mineko said though her blank expression told otherwise. "Now, are you going to let me help you? Or are you going to complain some more?"

The woman lifted the bottle of alcohol to eye level and waited for an answer. Barry bit his lip anxiously but nodded nonetheless. The moment Mineko had tightened her grip on his arm and tilted the bottle over the cut he yelped and the woman paused.

"I have not even done it yet." She said, this time with a slight smirk twitching onto her face.

"Y-Yeah... Well, I'm just preparing myself that's all."

Mineko struggled to hide the amusement etched on her face, and even less to control it in her voice. "Well, if it helps, I will allow you to ask me those questions again."

Barry blinked oddly at her but at least he seemed distracted from the pain. "Will you actually answer them this time?"

"I do not see why not. You have proved that you can be trusted."

His eyes lit up at her words. For the first time since they'd met, he appeared genuinely comfortable. This time he truly believed that she'd tell him, and that they could finally work together to find Thawne without the awkward tension. "I want to know more about the Monastery. Whatever you're okay with telling me."

Mineko agreed, tipping the alcohol over his cut and making the man gasp at the suddenness. He may have whined again if she hadn't started speaking soon after. "I found the Monestary when I was ten years of age, they saw my potential and allowed me to train with their recruits."

Barry's face, that had been scrunched up from the pain, softened and his head jerked to the side in confusion. "You were... ten? And they just took you in, that's it? No questions, no parental permission?"

"There was no need. As far as the rest of the world was concerned I was dead." Mineko said with little to emotional connection to what she was saying. It made Barry wonder how she was so indifferent to such a thing. "The Okiya did not bother checking the accuracy of this information."