Chapter Nine: The Rogues

Barry fumbled for his apartment keys at his door, balancing a tower of pizza boxes topped with various bags of fast food in his other hand and a hamburger crammed into his mouth

Almost immediately after leaving for his food run, he'd realised that it might have been a bad idea to leave Mineko in his apartment alone. She was technically still new to this era, and there were many thing that he still hadn't explained to her.

Barry, being the mostly carefree person that he was, had shrugged off his scepticism without another thought. He assumed that Mineko would be level headed about anything she encountered.

Finally grabbing hold of his keys, Barry slipped them into the lock and opened the door. He struggled to enter the building carrying so many edibles, but somehow managed it. With a sigh he pushed the door closed with his back and turned his attention to the apartment.

His jaw dropped and the burger that had been secured between his teeth splattered onto the floor. That was the least of his concerns though... It looked like his entire apartment had been trashed by vandals or robbers. There were books scattered across the ground, their contents spilling out. His gadgets and tools were in the exact same place, some were dented, others were bent.

Finally, Barry's eyes made it to the action figures that appeared half destroyed in the middle of the room. He dropped the food he had been holding, luckily all still packaged and wrapped, then rushed over to the collectibles. They were his favourite ones... action figures of Scotty, Doctor McCoy, and Spock from the Star Trek original series. He had been waiting to find one of Captain Kirk to join them...

Scotty's red uniform was all but torn apart, McCoy's head had been popped off, and Spock was missing an entire arm. It was a slaughter.

Barry moved Spock's only remaining arm with an air of solace. "Live long and prosper, little buddy. I'll find out who did this to you..."

As if the universe was providing him with an answer for this heinous crime, he heard something smash in the next room. Spock still in hand, Barry darted into the area he had heard the noise coming from, only to see Mineko standing there with her sword.

"What's going on here?" Barry said in an exasperated tone. "Is there someone in the house? Did someone rob me?"

"There are people trapped in that device." Mineko stated lowly. "We must free them."

It was only now that Barry realised where she was pointing her Katana. The sharp end of her blade gleamed toward the television, the images reflecting off its metal surface. A movie was on; Alien, to be exact.

Barry cocked an eyebrow at her as she continued staring at the television screen. Mineko continued "There is a monster-like creature chasing them, we must pull the people out before it discovers them."