Chapter Fourteen: Centrifugal Force

The police officer stood on the corner in the hazy heat of the sun

The police officer stood on the corner in the hazy heat of the sun. He was the very epitome of authority with his gun hanging idly at his hip, and the street reflected in his over-large sunglasses. Behind him lay the station, a small yet significant flow of cops coming in and out of its glass doors.

Barry, who had insisted that they come here, promised that these law enforcers would have at least an idea on Yan's whereabouts. So far their quest had been less than successful.

"Come on, you haven't heard anything? At all?" Barry asked, fully disguised in his Flash costume. He thought they would be more forthcoming to his alter ego, rather than some random guy asking questions.

"I already told you." The officer said in a full, almost emotionless voice. "I've heard nothing about mind control, and certainly not about this woman you mentioned."

"Then how about cases like the Black Spider one?"

"Oh, sure. We get people denying their crimes all the time." The cop said so sarcastically that even Mineko understood that he was mocking them. "That doesn't mean that they're connected."

"You know that's not what I meant." The Flash said in a stern, yet somewhat confused tone. The police had never been this rude to him before, at least not when he was in costume. "Well, are there any new gangs that have been particularly active of late?"

The officer, who had barely moved during the entire conversation, tensed slightly. It didn't appear like a reaction to the question, but to something only he could hear. His attitude changed completely after that. All of a sudden he seemed willing to help.

"Now that you mention it, there is one." He said lowly. "Been targeting primarily the lower regions and slums of Central City, but they've become major threats already in places like Gotham. Last I heard they were operating out of some warehouse in Lawrence Hills."

"Why is it always an abandoned warehouse?" The Flash whined, rolling his eyes behind his helmet. "Can't it ever be like a fancy hotel, or a five star restaurant?..."

"Those places are too well populated." Mineko answered despite the question obviously being rhetorical. "Besides, if you ever caught a gang at a restaurant you'd be too busy eating all the food to catch them."

"That's what the super speed's for." Barry said with a wink. "I can do both."

Without another second to waste, The Flash turned turned back towards the cop and gave a nod of gratitude. "Thanks for the information. If I find anyone there I'll bring them back for questioning."

"Very well." The officer replied in a tone that didn't suit him at all.

Mineko's eyes narrowed at the man, but she was swiftly lead away by Barry who seemed too distracted to notice.