Chapter Six: Shadowplay

The hideout was an easy one to penetrate

The hideout was an easy one to penetrate. The winds were in Mineko's favour on that particular day, and the clan had been careless with their defences. Apparently they hadn't considered the possibility that she already knew where they were headed.

She had known where their base was located for a while now. She had informed the Monastery but they had instructed her against infiltrating it. It didn't matter how adept she was with a sword, there were simply too many of them to risk it. This was different though, as long as she stuck to the shadows she would only have to fight a limited number of the clan.

It was important that she got the future dweller back, but more than that, she felt a little guilty that he had gotten involved in the power struggle. She may have been highly disciplined but she wasn't unfeeling. At times, human emotions were too prominent to ignore.

The large structure was quite simple to move through, much to Mineko's surprise. There weren't many secluded rooms connected to it, so that reduced the places she had to look through. She hid whenever people were passing through, usually near the ceiling. Over the years she had discovered that people were always so busy looking down that they forgot to look up.

Finally she discovered a rather large but empty section. Nothing resided within apart from a few piles of newly cleaned pots. There was nothing of substance though; no weapons, no training dummies... nothing except a big slab of wood in the middle, and a man tied to it. His head hung from his shoulders as if he had been knocked unconscious, but the twitching of his fingers proved that he was very much awake.

The short,dark hair was all that was needed to convince her that it was Barry, but if it hadn't, the clothes certainly helped. Her eyes flicked around the area. No one else was there yet but there was always a chance that they could appear when she least suspected it.

Without a sound, she slinked into the light and over to the wounded man.She placed her hand on his shoulder and his head moved upward. Mineko gritted her teeth... she didn't think they'd be so quick to hurt him. Barry's  mangled lip and obviously broken nose were caked in dried blood, congealed and cracked. It had drizzled down his face like rain down a window pane.

"What are you doing here?" He said, his voice gravelly and raw.

Mineko's had dropped from his shoulder. She forced herself to look at him, to appear stronger than she felt. "I have come to assist you."

"I don't want your help." Barry hissed. "I trust you even less than the ones that took me. At least they made their intentions clear..."

Mineko sighed and shifted over to the wood he was being held against. She untied the complicated knot easily, releasing Barry's hands and revealing that the rope had left deep cuts in his wrists. "Your distrust is unwarranted. I have done nothing to feed your suspicions."