Chapter Nineteen: Missing Heroes

Barry knew something was amiss the moment they teleported to the Watchtower

Barry knew something was amiss the moment they teleported to the Watchtower. It was eerily empty, with nothing but the frantic pacing of heavy boots to fill the silence.

Wally took the lead. He had been anxiously fiddling with his fingers since they entered the Hall of Justice, and it didn't cease even after they went through the transporter. He had a looming feeling of dread that he simply couldn't manage to shake.

The long hall they hurried through was seemingly never ending. Every corner felt barren without heroes training or discussing their recent fights with one another. Either something big had happened to occupy a large majority of Metahumans, or something was terribly wrong.

When they finally reached the room the footsteps were emulating from, Wally threw open the door and scanned the room for at least a quarter of the team he admired. He only found Batman, pacing from one end of the room to the other with his head hung low in deep thought.

All was quiet between the two men until Barry and Mineko stepped into the room. That was when Bruce spun around and tossed three perfectly aimed batarangs at each of their heads. Both Wally and Barry, though admittedly shocked, had no trouble stepping out of the way.

Mineko, on the other hand, had caught the weapon between two fingers as if she hadn't even needed to try and dodge it.

"What the hell was that for?!" Wally yelled, heart still thumping rapidly in his chest. Any faster and it would likely likely start running away from his body.

At the genuine fright in the boys eyes, Bruce appeared to lose some of the tenseness in his muscles. This didn't even return when Mineko threw the batarang back at him. He caught it with ease, though not as much as she had, and shot her an impressed smirk.

"Dude... not cool." Barry said, box of pizza in his hand completely rattled up. He opened the lid and sighed at the messy slices sprawled around the box. "Why do I always forget to put the box down?..."

Mineko shrugged and reached for a piece, trying not to forget how sick she was the last time she indulged in the oily substance. "It is still edible."

With that, she bit off a large chunk of the food and swallowed it down. Barry's disappointed frown transformed into a grin. She was amazing.

In the midst of Barry's admiration and Mineko's chewing, Wally was still unbelievably annoyed at Bruce. He flung his arms up into the air and yelled once more "You can't just go around throwing sharp shit at people! What exactly were you trying to do?"

"I was ensuring that none of you had been compromised." Batman replied lowly and simply.

"Compromised?! That's the best you've got?!"

Batman turned his back to the fuming boy and sauntered towards the large computer behind him. "Considering your recent run-in with the Titans, I thought you'd understand my precaution."