Chapter Twenty-Four: Downtime

"You know the

"You know the...greatest danger facing us is ourselves, an irrational fear...of the unknown. But-- there's...no such thing as the unknown-- only things temporarily hidden...temporarily not understood." Said Captain James Tiberius Kirk from the television screen. He was wearing a rather plain looking yellow shirt with a small symbol on it and was sitting on the bridge of his spaceship.

"This man is very wise." Mineko stated, head cupped in both hands as she watched the images closely. "Is he a philosopher?"

"Well, I guess he could be if he wanted...." Barry answered with uncertainty.

He sat in his living room with both Mineko and his father. Henry had been out of jail for almost a month now, and upon being informed that Mineko hadn't seen any episode of Star Trek, insisted that they watch it.

From Mineko's point of view, it was like she was watching the show with surround sound because the men on either side of her quoted every single line word for word. Even with the strange, sporadic rhythm that this 'Captain Kirk' possessed. Every now and then they'd even look at each other and laugh... or make strange faces that somehow matched the character's.

It was good to see them bonding, but it was a very strange way of doing so. Not that Mineko had any right to dictate what was considered odd and what wasn't.

The show flashed into its next scene. One of Captain Kirk in the midst of a fight but he was literally just throwing his body in every direction known to man. Sometimes he mixed it up tried to squeeze the other person into submission.

Mineko scoffed. "I take back my previous statement. This man is a fool."

"What?" Barry asked in the middle of another full blown laugh at the fight.

"He makes a mockery of the battlefield." Mineko squinted.

"But he's not on a battlefield, Mini." Barry shook his head, smile still permanently stuck on his face. "It's not meant to be realistic. It's like... a performance."

"Ah, like Geisha when they sing and dance for other peoples entertainment." Mineko nodded her understanding. "I understand."

This time when Kirk tackled his foe Mineko gave a short but sincere snort of amusement. Henry, however, had stopped watching the show entirely. He looked to Mineko, then Barry with slight puzzlement.

"You act as if she's never seen a show before." Henry said, but it was more of a question than a statement.

"O-Oh...yeah. Well, she's from a really small farming village in Japan. They're pretty cut off from everyone else. I mean, they're practically stuck in the 15th century."

"Really?" Henry gave Mineko a final glance before nodding. "That...definitely explains a lot."

Suddenly, Barry's laptop emitted a soft alert tone, urging him to stand up and walk over to where it was propped up on the table. Upon flipping it open, he realised that it was an encoded communique from the Martian Manhunter on the Watchtower. J'onn was informing him of a serious flooding imminent in a heavily populated city in Japan.