Chapter Five: Taken

There were two types of people in this world; morning people and

There were two types of people in this world; morning people and... not so morning people. Barry was the latter. He used the excuse that his mind needed the extra rest to function properly, however, Mineko was the complete opposite. The second she saw the sun beginning to peer out of the distant horizon, she took out her sword and scraped it against a slab of metal.

The sound pierced through the small house, travelling straight into the next room and into Barry's eardrums. The man jumped up on the straw mattress, eyes drooping tiredly and searching for the cause of such an irritating noise. His entire body felt weak, and when he finally managed to shuffle into the next room, that same exhaustion was written in his slumped posture.

He didn't have to ponder what the sound was for long. Mineko hadn't even bothered to hide her Katana, and Barry almost wished that she had. He didn't need another reason to distrust her...

"We must continue our search." The woman spoke sternly. "We have already squandered enough time."

Barry gritted his teeth, almost hard enough for it to be audible. He agreed that they had to start looking again, but he figured that Mineko could have woken him up in a more civil manner.

"...Good morning to you too..." He grumbled, rubbing the back of his head sleepily.

Mineko's dark eyebrows furrowed as she sheathed her sword. "Every moment you stand there complaining is one we could utilise in tracking down your criminal. I hope you are prepared, if not you will be left here."

Barry rubbed his eyes, hoping that this would dull the stinging. "Yeah, whatever... you told me that yesterday."

"Then you have had ample time to ensure that does not happen." Mineko seemed wide awake compared to Barry, her stance was steady and there were no dark circles beneath her eyes.

She moved swiftly over to the front door and slid it open. She spared him one single glance, likely to make sure that he was going to follow, before stepping out. Barry groaned. He would have at least liked the opportunity to fully wake up before departing. It didn't look like he was going to get that option though...

The urge to stay behind was almost overwhelming, but Barry somehow conjured enough willpower to follow her. He shut the door on his way out, almost forgetting that it was a sliding one.

Thankfully, the bitter chill outside jolted Barry into complete consciousness fairly quickly. However, It did nothing to assist his general exhaustion. Perhaps the most surprising thing to come of this was that Mineko noticed his lack of energy. Not that she actually expressed it at all.

She did rethink her approach to the mission though. Mineko had been trained, both mind and body, to be disciplined. Sometimes it came across as blunt or harsh to others, but she had little care about their opinions on her. When it effected the mission though... that was a different story.