Chapter Twenty-Eight: Crises

Author's Note: This chapter was inspired by Crises On Infinite Earths

Author's Note: This chapter was inspired by Crises On Infinite Earths. A comic I suggest reading if anyone's interested. I almost skipped it but thought it was important to Barry's character so I had to do it.

--------------------------------------------------

In the beginning there was only one universe. A single black infinitude. Alone and dark for so long that even the burning light was imperceptible...but the light grew and the infinitude shuddered, and the darkness finally screamed as much in pain as in relief. For in that instant a multiverse was born. A multiverse of world's vibrating and replicating. A multiverse that should have been one became many.

Each of these world's were picked off one by one. Their heroes fell and civilians ran in fear as their entire existence was blinked away. Nothing could save them, and as they met their demise more universes witnessed their own fates. Now it came for Earth One. The world in which Barry and Mineko resided. At least, that's what Professor Emil Hamilton had said.

"Are you sure that your theory's correct, Professor?" Superman asked with an unavoidable tremble in his tone. Both he and Barry had rushed over upon hearing that Hamilton had discovered something urgent. They were the only ones fast enough to arrive at S.T.A.R Labs without taking an adequate amount of time out of their day. "Not that I doubt your intelligence, it just has serious implications if you're right."

"I know." Hamilton said in a grim voice. "That's why I'm telling you before it befalls our universe as well."

The Flash exchanged a foreboding look with Superman before speaking. "Okay, you're gonna have to give us a little more information on what's happening."

Hamilton nodded his agreement. "I've named the other world's that I discovered to make explaining things a little easier, so we'll start there. Our world is Earth One, but Earth Five through to Ten have been completely destroyed."

"So, we're talking about alternate universes?" The Flash confirmed. "Just because they were demolished, that doesn't mean that it will happen here. Actually, it makes it a lot less likely to happen here."

"Under normal circumstances you'd be right, but all these universes are dying of the same thing." Hamilton started to explain before a red dot flashed onto his computer screen. The professor's expression dropped and he lost all colour in his face.

"What's wrong?" Superman asked in immediate concern.

"We...just lost Earth Three..." He shivered. "All matter was completely dissolved from the universe, just like the others..."

Superman looked distraught at this news and Barry could do nothing but rack his brain for a solution that didn't exist. Now any doubt had been erased entirely from their minds. Something weird was happening, and it was coming for them next. Maybe it was already here.