Chapter Twelve: Entangled

Mineko was, typically, a difficult person to follow undetected

Mineko was, typically, a difficult person to follow undetected. She was always ten steps ahead of her pursuer; aware of their exact location and their intentions. However, this place was new to her, its norms weren't familiar at all. And most importantly, there were always hundreds of people on the streets at any given time.

In such a crowded place, her senses were dulled. She simply wasn't trained to deal with the sheer amount of threats that could be passing her at any given moment. This would explain why she had no suspicion of being tracked as she wandered back to Barry's apartment. As soon as she had entered that empty structure though, she was immediately hit with a feeling of dread.

Now that she was away from the large groups of people and the tall, seemingly endless buildings, she regained some control over her own abilities. Now she could tell that she wasn't alone. The air smelt slightly different to the usual twinge of pizza that hung in the room, it was now obscured by the musk of newly stitched leather. In the distance, if she listened intently enough, she could also hear the steady breathing of a well-trained combatant.

She could vividly recall Barry's unusually fast and erratic breaths, Wally's was almost identical. Whoever was in that apartment, it wasn't either of them. Mineko's body immediately tensed in the darkness. Every muscle contracted until felt as unmovable as solid rock. Her hand extended towards the light switch, only recently learning its purpose.

The moment she flicked it light flooded the room. Immediately, she caught sight of the intruder. He was hanging from the ceiling like some form of spider, wearing a costume draped primarily in black. That explained why she couldn't see him in pitch blackness.

His wrist flicked forward, and a strange contraption unraveled from his wrist, extending a kind of barrel outward.

Mineko had no time to react. Suddenly, an ear-piercing bang swallowed every sound in the apartment. She fell to the ground behind Barry's couch, unknowingly providing herself with cover from this strange new weapon.

Her ears rang with deafening volume as she realised there was a fresh wound on her abdomen. It bled profusely...and Mineko was more confused and shocked at what the would-be assassin did to hurt her like that.

Mineko's hearing slowly began to fade back in, just in time to hear the thud of the man's feet against the far wall. He came barrelling over the couch, and just as he aimed his weapon for another hit, she concentrated all of her strength into lashing out with her wind magic.

She swiped a hand at the assassin, and a gust of wind pushed the man off course. His weapon discharged and exploded a pile of books mere centimetres away from Mineko, as he flew into a bookcase with great force, causing it to tumble over. The man gave a surprised grunt, and just as Mineko tied her robe around the gaping wound in her stomach, he managed to roll off of the collapsed shelving.