Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Passing Of Time

~ Six Years Later ~

~ Six Years Later ~

It was the strangest autumn thus far. The trees remained clothed in green until the middle of October and then all of a sudden were a riot of colour. It was as if the season jumped into the existence instead of fading in as it usually would, and was all the more magnificent for doing so. Upon the newly softened mud were acorns, from green to pale brown, and the air was cooler with a tincture of earthiness to it.

It seemed like everyone in Central City was enjoying the change of weather. All except one man who was currently zooming through the area, living within the spaces between each second. He was draped in red but no one could see the vibrancy of this colour. They couldn't see him at all, actually. The only evidence that he was even there was the sudden gusts of wind that occasionally swept beside them.

Wally had been running from Superboy Prime, luring him into a trap in which Superman could deal with him. It was part of his job, after all, as a member of the Justice League. Yes, you heard right. He was finally an official member, but primarily because he no longer went by the name 'Kid Flash'. Now, he was simply 'The Flash'. It wasn't a name he enjoyed having. He felt as if he was stealing it from Barry...but he didn't want the people of Central City to know about the death of their hero, so he had taken his suit and the mantle he left behind.

At the moment he was no longer being chased by Superboy Prime, at least not that he could see, but he wasn't willing to take any chances. He continued forward, testing the limit of his speed. Just when he thought he could go no faster, his legs would regain a little more strength and push him further. He had to focus on not slipping into time travel but it became harder and harder the longer he ran for. That wasn't because he lacked the willpower...it was because something was wrong with this expanse of the Speed Force. It felt like there was a tear in it.

Energy flowed unrestricted through the tear, zapping dangerously around him. He felt a pull, as if the Speed Force itself wanted to pull him in, then something jolted past him - so quickly that even he had trouble seeing it. Wally skidded to a halt, eyes immediately drawn to the large crater denting the middle of the abandoned field. Somehow, the object that had created this hadn't created a shock wave of any kind. Wally knew this because he would have been thrown back by the impact if it had.

Wally cautiously slipped closer to the crater, dropping to his knees and peeking his head over the edge of the massive hole. For a few brief moments the smoke and dust blinded his view of the object, but when it cleared away any air in his lungs was expelled in one sharp exhale. It was a person. A man, to be exact. He was leaning down, hair hanging in front of his face and back facing Wally's widening eyes. Nothing provided a barrier between the world and his body. His clothes had either burnt off, or he wasn't wearing anything to begin with.

"Uhh...Hey, are you alright?" Wally started awkwardly, conflicted on whether to look the man over for injuries or avert his eyes entirely. "Do you need any help?"