Chapter Twenty-Six: Vice Versa

"Barry!" Someone called in a very thick accent

"Barry!" Someone called in a very thick accent. Lex paused, storing the name 'Barry' in his memory under a priority file. He had already changed out of the Flash costume as it had drawn too much attention for his liking, and instead 'borrowed' a suit from a nearby clothing store. When he finally turned he was met with the gaze of a sceptical Japanese woman holding a bag full of groceries. "You haven't been back to the hotel yet?"

"O-Oh, no." Lex quickly regained his composure and attempted to act as inconspicuous as possible. "I heard you were shopping so I came to meet you here."

"Where did you hear that?" The woman asked with obvious confusion. She tilted her head to the side and narrowed her eyes at him.

Lex gathered any panic that may have stirred in a less confident person and backtracked. "Sorry, what I meant was that I went to the hotel but you weren't there. I assumed you'd gone out shopping."

"Why would you assume that? You're always the one that does it."

"I hadn't noticed." Lex said, hoping that this would be enough to convince her. The expression she flashed him ensured him that it wasn't.

"Is that why you're always complaining about it?" She muttered lowly, eyes glaring into him as if she already suspected something. It were as if she could read his mind...but it wasn't as direct as that. It was more like she was particularly perceptive - she could tell that something was wrong.

"You're right. I'm a little out of sorts today...I got hit by a weird beam on my way back into Metropolis." He said almost too convincingly. "It's really effected my memory."

The woman frowned. Still not completely satisfied with this response. She had seen this on the news only seconds after it had happened...and Superman had visited asking if Barry was alright. "I heard."

"You did? Well, as I'm sure you'll agree, I need some time to clear my head. I'm going to wander around here a bit longer but I'll meet you back at the hotel later." He turned on his heel with a wave, hoping that this would end the uncomfortable conversation. He wasn't that lucky though.

"There's just one thing, Mr. Spock. You can't tell me that when you first saw Jim alive that you weren't on the verge of giving us an emotional scene that would have brought the house down." The woman called to him. It took a moment for Lex to realise what was happening. She was quoting Star Trek, and waiting for him to continue the conversation. This 'Barry' guy must've known each episode word for word.

Clever. Very clever.

Lex raked his brain for the answer. He had seen every series of Star Trek and could discuss it in depth...but he didn't know the dialogue as completely as Barry. He gritted his teeth. He knew the episode, he knew the season, he knew every character within it and what it was about...but he couldn't recall that quite at all.

Instead of giving up entirely, Lex flashed the woman a smile and chuckled. "Amok Time, season 2. That's a good one. I didn't know you could quote Star Trek."