Chapter Eight: Orbital

Amazement didn't quite cover Mineko's reaction to the future

Amazement didn't quite cover Mineko's reaction to the future. It felt like someone had taken her spark of wonder and poured on an entire barrel of kerosene. Words could not adequately reflect what she felt inside; like every neuron in her brain was trying to fire in both directions at once - never truly registering what she was seeing.

There wasn't much time for her to adapt to her new surroundings, which only added to her inner turmoil. Soon after arriving in the future Barry had convinced her to follow him to the Hall of Justice. This building was even more bewildering than Barry's apartment, and that was no small accomplishment. Almost every corner held a foreign machine, and the structure itself was the largest she had ever entered.

This entrance hall was adorned with colossal statues of strangely clothed men and women, known to Barry as the founding members of the Justice League, which of course included himself. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were at the centre of this formation, flanked by Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, Aquaman and Barry as the Flash. Mineko's perception of Barry seemed to fall apart as she saw the statue built in his likeness. A statue that grand wasn't just given to everybody.

"What is this place? A temple? A place of worship?"

Barry rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "What? No... Well...maybe it might be similar. The...'ruling party' of this city had it built as a tribute to my team. The real kicker is over here."

Barry led Mineko over to a gigantic bulkhead, which had a touch screen panel on its side. Barry took this opportunity to flaunt his time's technology. "Have a look at this. This door recognises voices, and only opens to members of my team." He tapped the input screen and said clearly "The Flash."

After a single second of buffering, the door hissed, causing Mineko to cautiously take a step back. "Authorisation confirmed."

The reinforced steel door parted, and revealed a strange circular floor panel that glowed with white light.

"Okay, I know everything's been moving really fast, no pun intended, but I need to tell you where we're going. It might be... hard to understand."

Mineko huffed in amusement. "I'm no fool, Ser Barry."

"My team's base is in space. It's outside of our world. Not on Earth." Barry wasn't surprised when it appeared that Mineko didn't entirely grasp the idea of something being able to exist like that. "Why did I bother? Just step on the circle." Barry sighed.

Surprisingly, Mineko obliged without question. Either she trusted Barry more than she let on, or she had resigned herself to accepting anything that he said because she knew nothing of the future. At the moment it didn't matter what her reasons were as long as she cooperated.

The Watchtower was no doubt even harder for her to comprehend, but this time she didn't let it show. It was becoming obvious that Mineko had decided to just ignore the changes that future presented her until she caught her target. It would be too distracting if she was constantly anxious about the advancements in society. Still, Barry could tell that she was constantly being thrown off guard.